CoinPeople.com

Morgan Dollar by year

Mark Stilson

Looks like a 1904-O VAM-8 Far Date

8 III2 5 C4a (Far Date) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 - Closed 9. Date set further right than normal.

1904Odate.jpg

But I also noticed what looks like die clash at the mouth

1904Oclashedlip.jpg

Also looks like some by the bonnet.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aright 1921 according to Wikipedia.

"In American football, the University of California defeats Ohio State 28–0 in the Rose Bowl. The first religious radio broadcast is heard over station (KDKA AM in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania). Warren G. Harding is inaugurated as the 29th President of the United States. The Allies of World War I reparations commission announce that Germany has to pay 132 billion gold marks ($33 billion) in annual installments of 2.5 billion gold marks. May 15 – Major geomagnetic storm. The Emergency Quota Act passes the U.S. Congress, establishing national quotas on immigration. Tulsa Race Riot: The official death toll is 39, but recent investigations suggest the actual toll may be much higher. U.S. President Warren Harding signs a joint congressional resolution declaring an end to America's state of war with Germany, Austria and Hungary. The first BCG vaccination against tuberculosis is given. Adolf Hitler becomes Führer of the Nazi Party. The United States formally ends World War I, declaring a peace with Germany. The first radio baseball game is broadcast; Harold Arlin announces the Pirates-Phillies game from Forbes Field over Westinghouse KDKA, in Pittsburgh. In Atlantic City, New Jersey, the first Miss America Pageant is held. Sixteen-year-old Margaret Gorman wins the Atlantic City Pageant's Golden Mermaid trophy; pageant officials later dub her the first Miss America. Albert Einstein is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work with the photoelectric effect. During an Armistice Day ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery, the Tomb of the Unknowns is dedicated by U.S. President Warren G. Harding. Donna Reed born, American actress (d. 1986) Carol Channing born, American actress Lloyd Bentsen born, American politician (d. 2006) Hugh Downs born, American game show host and journalist (20-20) Abe Vigoda born, American actor (Fish) Alan Hale, Jr. born, American actor (Gilligan's Island) (d. 1990) Peter Ustinov born, English actor and director (d. 2004) Jane Russell born, American actress John Glenn born, American astronaut and former U.S. Senator Jim McKay born, American sportscaster (ABC's Wide World of Sports) (d. 2008) Jesse Helms born, U.S. Senator from North Carolina (d. 2008) Rodney Dangerfield born, American actor and comedian (d. 2004) Jackie Stallone born, American astrologer and mother of Sylvester Stallone Steve Allen born, American actor, composer, comedian, and author (d. 2000) Bat Masterson died, American gunfighter (b. 1853)

• 4 weeks later...

Whew ... took out the large pictures in my posts and replaced them with smaller ones but added links to the large images.

Hopefully the pages will load a little quicker now.

• 1 month later...

Added on March 27, 2010:

1878-P VAM 84A Super CD: ("CD" is for "clashed dies")

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_rev.thumb.jpg

Details (some are very hard to see in these photos):

1. Obverse, clashed "N" at neck:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_obv_clashed_N.jpg

2. Obverse, die crack between 2nd and 3rd stars to right of date:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_obv_Die_crack_by_stars.jpg

3. Obverse, line under first "8" in date:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_obv_Line_under_8.jpg

4. Obverse, washed-out "L" in LIBERTY:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_obv_washed_out_L.jpg

5. Reverse, clashed "M" over "d":

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_rev_clashed_M.jpg

6. Reverse, clashed "E":

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1878_P_7TF_VAM_84A_rev_clashed_E.jpg

• 3 months later...

I just bought a 1898 O Morgan Silver Dollar and just wanted to find out if this is an error? I am getting ready to list it on eBay and was taking pictures and wanted to show the O better. Zoomed in and all the O's from this year I found are not tilted... If this is an error does that mean anything different then if not? I can post pictures of the full coin if you care to see it but have only listed the letter picture right now. I think it's grade would be MS something? 63... not really a grader!

Thanks for any and all help.

p.s. anytime I've been to New Orleans I have always left a little tilted :ninja: so it's kind of funny.

2-2.jpg

I Just found this old coin as well. 1921 D. did any of those get double stamped? the 1 looks strange to me. It is late but just wanted to double check. Thanks again.

2-3.jpg

Sounds strange but something like the 1898 is not considered a error. But it is considered a die variation. Since the dies were made and inspected. Then put in to production as is.

The 1898 O appears to be a high tilted right. (see close up below.) Check Vamworld to narrow it down. 1898O reverses And to check the date or any other vam diagnostics check attributions. Looks like all of the tilted right high mint marks have date doubling so your really just need to check for doubling. Some of the doubling can be pretty hard to see. Turning to different angles sometimes helps.

tiltedright.jpg

BTW, for date checks here is a date position picture I made.

datepos.jpg

The 1921 D is tough on ID'ing vams. But I think that is mechanical doubling. Slight mechanical doubling normally does not add to value If you want to check for vam type check here. The VAM 10 has a doubled date but I believe it was all numbers not just the 1. There are a few more doubled date just a little further down.

Most VAMS unless they are top 100, hot 50, etc do not carry a premium.

• 5 months later...

I don't think this is VAM-5 anymore ... the date is supposed to be farther to the left on VAM-5, and I am missing the die chips on the leftmost "8". :confus:

Will do more research ... and will take better pictures (soon, maybe next week).

Thanks, Mark, but I don't think so ... the "1" in the date sits squarely across two denticles in those far dates. But VAM-27 seems to have the date in the right position, and slightly slanted like my coin. Now I have to look for the other die markers... :read:

• 1 month later...

Archived