CoinPeople.com

Morgan Dollar by year

Mark Stilson

1900-P VAM-4

4 III2 3 - C3a (Low Date)

909131.jpg

1900 O Morgan Vam 1 (Normal morgan ) closed 9 obverse and reverse with centered and upright mint mark. Die crack on cap

915597.jpg

1900-O VAM-21 Near Date, High O 21 III2 5 - C3l (Near Date, High O) (190) I-2 R-3 Date set further left than normal. Open 9. Some show high die crack through tops of ED STATES OF.

945694.jpg

1900 O over O over CC shifted left and rust pitting VAM 8 probable an 8a

921212.jpg

1900 S

15 III2 1 - C3h (S Set Right) ( ? ) I-2 R-3

Mint mark set upright and shifted slightly to right.

926834.jpg

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good, now I can participate again... This coin is rather special to me because it was collected either by my stepfather or my Mom way back in the days when nobody knew about VAMs:

1900-P, doubled olive. Mark pointed out that the date position is at 2.4 denticles which would make this one VAM 24 (I originally thought it was VAM 11):

Morgan_Dollar_1900_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1900_rev.thumb.jpg

Double-olive detail (note extensive doubling of arrows, etc. as well):

Morgan_Dollar_1900_rev_olive_detail.jpg

Date detail (courtesy of Mark Stilson):

1900pdate.jpg

Links to larger images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...ar_1900_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...ar_1900_rev.jpg

A regular 1900-P (as far as I can see):

Morgan_Dollar_1900_P_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1900_P_rev.thumb.jpg

Large images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1900_P_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1900_P_rev.jpg

1900-O, VAM 35:

Morgan_1900_O_VAM_35_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_1900_O_VAM_35_rev.thumb.jpg

Date detail showing the huge die crack typical of this variety:

Morgan_1900_O_VAM_35_date_detail.jpg

Large images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._VAM_35_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._VAM_35_rev.jpg

:ninja:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, I don't have an 1899 to show. :ninja:

This has changed as of today, when I purchased a nice 1899-O from a local dealer. I will try to add pictures to the post I am replying to later on this week. ;)

It looks like to me the "A regular 1900-P (as far as I can see): " is one of the near slanted dates.

1900date.jpg

There is a line on the bottom right first 0 has a line in it. The second 0 also has something lower right. I can't tell if the bottom of the 1 is doubled. Also I saw a small chip or something on the bottom of the first star to the left of the date. I did not see anything that showed it.

Also noticed the line from the 1 to the star looks raised?

BTW you may have some verdigris on that one. Shows up in the close up.

Thanks, Mark ... I'll check out that 1900-P on the VAM site. :ninja: As to the verdigris, it has a little patina on it ... could just be the lighting, or it might be a little PVC damage. It's not at home right now, but maybe I'll give it a little acetone bath when I get around to it over the Christmas holidays.

Added my 1899-O here yesterday.

Alright according to Wikipedia in 1901

"The British colonies of New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania, Victoria and Western Australia federate as the Commonwealth of Australia. Edmund Barton becomes first Prime Minister. Typhoid fever breaks out in a Seattle jail, the first of 2 typhoid outbreaks in the USA during the year. Alferd Packer is released from prison after serving 18 years for cannibalism. In the first great Texas gusher, oil is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas. Baseball's American League declares itself a Major League. After reigning for almost 64 years, longer than any other British monarch, Queen Victoria dies at the age of 81. The Hawaii Territory Legislature convenes for the first time. The U.S. Congress passes the Platt Amendment, limiting the autonomy of Cuba as a condition for the withdrawal of American troops. New York State becomes the first to require automobile license plates. The U.S. stock market crashes. In New Jersey, the Edison Storage Battery Company is founded. U.S. Vice President Theodore Roosevelt utters the famous phrase, "Speak softly and carry a big stick" at the Minnesota State Fair. American anarchist Leon Czolgosz shoots U.S. President William McKinley at the Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo, New York. McKinley dies 8 days later. Theodore Roosevelt succeeds William McKinley as President of the United States. The body of U.S. President Abraham Lincoln is exhumed and reinterred in concrete several feet thick. U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt invites African American leader Booker T. Washington to the White House. The American South reacts angrily to the visit, and racial violence increases in the region. Leon Czolgosz, the assassin of William McKinley, is executed by electrocution. William S. Harley draws up plans for his first prototype motorcycle. Clark Gable born, American actor (d. 1960) Zeppo Marx born, American comedian (d. 1979) Louis Armstrong born, American jazz musician (d. 1971) Ed Sullivan born, American entertainer (d. 1974) George Gallup born, American statistician and opinion pollster (d. 1984) Walt Disney born, American animator and film producer (d. 1966) Clement Studebaker died, American manufacturer (b. 1831)

1901-S VAM-10 Doubled Ear 10 III23 · C4a (Doubled Ear) (189) I-3 R-5 Obverse III23– Strongly doubled bottom outside of ear and hair above ear. Eyelid doubled below it. Distinctive crack through the date can be found on late state specimens. This one does have die crack LDS

978025.jpg

1901 O

948196.jpg

1901 O harshly cleaned/buffed VAM-40 Far Slanted Date, Doubled Profile, O Tilted Right

40 III217 · C3f (Far Slanted Date, Doubled Profile, O Tilted Right) (181) I-2 R-5

Obverse III217– Date slanted and further right than normal with second 1 higher than first 1. Liberty head profile slightly doubled from forehead down to chin.

Reverse C3f– III O mint mark tilted to right but not set high.

909502.jpg

Alright what happened in 1902 according to wikipedia?

"The first college football bowl game, the Rose Bowl between Michigan and Stanford, is held in Pasadena, California. The Carnegie Institution is founded in Washington, DC with a $10 million gift from Andrew Carnegie. A Circuit Court prevents Thomas Edison from having a monopoly on motion picture technology. Electric Theatre, the first movie theater in the United States, opens in Los Angeles, California. A new car speed record of 74 mph is set in Nice, France, by Leon Serpollet. Theodore Roosevelt becomes the first American President to ride in an automobile when he rides in a Columbia Electric Victoria through Hartford, Connecticut. American Old West: The second-in-command of Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch gang, Kid Curry Logan, is sentenced to 20 years hard labor. Tallulah Bankhead born, American actress (d. 1968) Charles Lindbergh born, American aviator (d. 1974) Ansel Adams born, American photographer (d. 1984) John Steinbeck born, American writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1968) Larry Fine born, American actor and comedian (The Three Stooges) (d. 1975) Strom Thurmond born, American politician (d. 2003) Walter Reed died, American army physician (b. 1851) "

• 2 weeks later...

What happened in 1903. Well according to Wikipedia.

"The first west-east transatlantic radio broadcast is made from the United States to England (the first east-west broadcast having been made in 1901). Morris and Rose Mitchom introduce the first teddy bear in America. Cuba leases Guantanamo Bay to the United States "in perpetuity". In New York City, the Martha Washington Hotel, the first hotel exclusively for women, opens. The Hay-Herran Treaty, granting the United States the right to build the Panama Canal, is ratified by the United States Senate. The Colombian Senate later rejects the treaty. The town of Heppner, Oregon, was nearly destoyed by a cloud burst that resulted in a flash flood. Dr. Ernst Pfenning of Chicago becomes the first owner of a Ford Model A. The first stock car event is held at the Milwaukee Mile. The Wreck of the Old 97 engine at Stillhouse Trestle near Danville, Virginia, which kills 9 people, inspires a ballad and song. The first modern World Series pits the National League's Pittsburgh against Boston of the American League. With the encouragement of the United States, Panama proclaims itself independent from Colombia. The United States recognizes the independence of Panama. Orville Wright flies an aircraft with a petrol engine at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina in the first documented, successful, controlled, powered, heavier-than-air flight. The first box of Crayola crayons was made and sold for 5 cents. It contained 8 colors; brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet and black. Edgar Bergen born, American ventriloquist (d. 1978) Benjamin Spock born, American pediatrician (d. 1998) Bing Crosby born, American singer and actor (d. 1977) Lou Gehrig born, American baseball player (d. 1941) John Dillinger born, American bank robber (d. 1934) Richard Jordan Gatling died, American inventor (b. 1818) James McNeill Whistler died, American painter (b. 1834) Calamity Jane died, American frontierswoman (b. 1852)

1903 P

909363.jpg

1903 O

934495.jpg

1903-S VAM-7 Slanted Date, S Tilted Left

7 III2 2 - C4c (Slanted Date, S Tilted Left) (189) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 2 - Slight slant to date with 1 closest to rim.

Reverse C4c - Mint mark tilted to left.

930620.jpg

1903-P VAM-4 Near Date

4 III3 4 - C4a (Near Date) I-2 R-3

Date set further left than normal.

At the normal/near date cusp.

1903neardate.jpg

Btw I noticed the mark by the top left on the 3 almost looks like a die gouge?

Man love the picture, talk about detail. :ninja:

We will be moving to 1904 Tuesday Nite. Last chance for 1903.

(If any one wants to put any up in previous years. Just PM my with a link to the pictures and any info you want posted with it and I'll toss it in the right year with your name.

Okay, 1904 according to Wikipedia.

"The distress signal CQD is established, only to be replaced 2 years later by SOS. Henry Ford sets a new automobile land speed record of 91.37 mph. The first large-scale bodybuilding competition in America takes place at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The Great Baltimore Fire in Baltimore, Maryland destroys over 1,500 buildings in 30 hours. For $10 million, the United States gains control of the Panama Canal Zone. Longacre Square in Midtown Manhattan is renamed Times Square after The New York Times. U.S. Army engineers begin work on The Panama Canal. Pitching against the Philadelphia Athletics, Cy Young of the Boston Americans throws the first perfect game in the modern era of baseball. A fire aboard the steamboat General Slocum in New York City's East River kills 1,021. The third Modern Olympic Games opens in St. Louis, Missouri, United States as part of the World's Fair. In St. Louis, Missouri, the ice cream cone is invented during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. The first underground line of the New York City Subway opens. The first successful caterpillar track is made (it later revolutionizes construction vehicles and land warfare). In New York City, the first New Year's Eve celebration is held in Times Square. Jeane Dixon born, American astrologer (d. 1997) Pretty Boy Floyd born, American gangster (d. 1934) Jimmy Dorsey born, American bandleader (d. 1957) Dr. Seuss born, American children's author (The Cat in the Hat) (d. 1991) Sally Rand born, American dancer and actress (d. 1979) Robert Oppenheimer born, American physicist (d. 1967) James Longstreet died, Confederate Civil War general (b. 1821) "

Archived