Morgan Dollar by year

Mark Stilson

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgot to start up 1895 yesterday.

1895 according to Wikipedia.

Dreyfus Affair: French officer Alfred Dreyfus is stripped of his army rank and sentenced to life imprisonment on Devil's Island. Mintonette, later known as volleyball, is created by William G. Morgan at Holyoke, Massachusetts. William L. Wilson is appointed United States Postmaster General. In re Debs: The Supreme Court of the United States decides that the federal government has the right to regulate interstate commerce, legalizing the military suppression of the Pullman Strike. American frontier murderer and outlaw John Wesley Hardin is killed by an off-duty policeman in a saloon in El Paso, Texas. The first professional American football game is played, in Latrobe, Pennsylvania, between the Latrobe YMCA and the Jeannette Athletic Club (Latrobe wins 12-0). George B. Selden is granted the first U.S. patent for an automobile. Wilhelm Röntgen discovers a type of radiation later known as X-rays. The gold reserve of the U.S. Treasury is saved when J. P. Morgan and the Rothschilds loan $65 million worth of gold to the United States government.

The gold reserve of the U.S. Treasury is saved when J. P. Morgan and the Rothschilds loan $65 million worth of gold to the United States government.

Those were the days ... nowadays we do it just the opposite ... :ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, what happened in 1896 according to Wikipedia.

"Utah is admitted as the 45th U.S. state. H.L. Smith takes the first X-ray photograph. The X-ray machine is exhibited for the first time. Walter Arnold, of Kent, England, is fined for speeding in excess of the contemporary speed limit of 2 mph. The Ford Quadricycle, the first Ford vehicle ever developed, is completed, eventually leading Henry Ford to build the empire that "put America on wheels". The shortest war in recorded history, the Anglo-Zanzibar War, starts at 9 in the morning and lasts for 45 minutes of shelling. U.S. presidential election, 1896: Republican William McKinley defeats William Jennings Bryan. John Philip Sousa composes his magnum opus, the Stars and Stripes Forever, on Christmas Day. George Burns born Jan. 20, American comedian. )

Okay light on O and S but plenty of Philadelphia's.

1896 S

915396.jpg

1896 O

909476.jpg

909127.jpg

1896-P VAM-19 8 in Denticles This coin is a Top 100 Morgan VAM. 19 III219 · C3a (8 in Denticles) (190) I-3 R-5 Obverse III219– Top of 8 appears in two denticle spaces just below 8 as two raised and curved bars. Date slightly slanted with 1 closest to rim. One of several Morgan dollar misplaced dates. Here the '8' was repunched and appears in the denticles. The other digits are not visible. The date has a mild slant, rising to the right.

929448.jpg

1896 VAM 23 Slanted near date Doubled Arrows 23 III212 · C3b (Near Slanted Date, Doubled Arrows) (190) I-2 R-4 Reverse C3b– Doubled lower three arrow feathers at bottom, middle and lower arrow heads at bottom and top inside of wreath bow.

956871.jpg

963894.jpg

Not much I can offer for 1896 ...

Here is a nice 1896-P:

Morgan_Dollar_1896_1_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1896_1_rev.thumb.jpg

Large images here:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1896_1_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1896_1_rev.jpg

And one 1896-O in AU or thereabouts:

Morgan_Dollar_1896_O_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1896_O_rev.thumb.jpg

Large images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1896_O_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1896_O_rev.jpg

Neither has any interesting VAM characteristics that I can see.

Okay, from Wikipedia 1897.

"Elva Zona Heaster is found dead in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. The resulting murder trial of her husband is perhaps the only case in United States history where the testimony of a ghost helped secure a conviction. Dracula, a novel by Irish author Bram Stoker, is published. Mark Twain, responding to rumors that he is dead, is quoted by the New York Journal as saying, "The report of my death was an exaggeration." The Klondike Gold Rush begins when the first successful prospectors arrive in Seattle. The Oldsmobile is founded in Lansing, MI by Ransom E. Olds. The word "computer", meaning an electronic calculation device, is first used. Walter Winchell born, American broadcast journalist (d. 1972) Jimmie Rodgers born, American singer (d. 1933) "

1897 S VAM-4 Doubled 1-7, Die Gouge Wreath Bow

III23 · C3a (Doubled 1-7, Die Gouge Wreath Bow) (186) I-3 R-4

Obverse III23– 1-7 in date doubled. Long horizontal line well below top crossbar. 7 doubled at top as thin broken line.

Reverse C3a– Diagonal die gouge in center and lower right outside of wreath bow. Some doubled leaves in left and right wreaths.

922282.jpg

1897 S

916139.jpg

1897 small struck thru error on neck

909128.jpg

1897 O VAM-8

III2 4- C3a (1897-P VAM-8 Doubled 1) (181) I-2 R-5

Obverse II2 4- Slightly doubed 1 lower edge of top crossbar. Die marker - Small diagonal die scratch between two upper cotton leaves.

Reverse C3a- Die marker - Diagonal die scratches at lower inside of eagle's left wing.

909458.jpg

I only have this one 1897-P for the year. Possibly VAM 7 (slanted date), no doubling that I can see:

Morgan_Dollar_1897_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1897_rev.thumb.jpg

Larger images here:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...ar_1897_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...ar_1897_rev.jpg

===========================

New addition: Feb. 8, 2010

===========================

From a Heritage auction ... using their pics for the time being:

1897-S:

Morgan_Dollar_1897_S_obv.thumb.jpgMorgan_Dollar_1897_S_rev.thumb.jpg

Large images here:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1897_S_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1897_S_rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Wikapedia says.

"New York City annexes land from surrounding counties, creating the City of Greater New York. The city is geographically divided into five boroughs: Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and Staten Island. Emile Zola publishes J'Accuse a letter accusing the French government of anti-Semitism and wrongfully placing Alfred Dreyfus in jail. Spanish-American War: The USS Maine explodes and sinks in Havana harbor, Cuba for then unknown reasons, killing 266 men. This event helps lead the United States to declare war on Spain. Robert Allison of Port Carbon, Pennsylvania becomes the first person to buy an American-built automobile when he buys a Winton automobile that had been advertised in Scientific American. Annie Oakley promotes the service of women in combat situations with the United States military. On this day, she writes a letter to President McKinley "offering the government the services of a company of 50 'lady sharpshooters' who would provide their own arms and ammunition should war break out with Spain."[1] In the history of women in the military, there are records of female U.S. Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers who enlisted using male pseudonyms, but Oakley's letter represents possibly the earliest political move towards women's rights for combat service in the United States military. The United States annexes the Hawaiian Islands. Battle of Sugar Point: Ojibwe tribesmen defeat U.S. government troops in northern Minnesota. Caleb Bradham names his soft drink Pepsi-Cola. The first of the two Tsavo maneaters is shot by John Henry Patterson; the second is killed 3 weeks later, after 135 workers had been killed. The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Spanish-American War. As a result of the merger of several small oil companies, John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil Company controls 84% of the USA's oil and most American pipelines. Enzo Ferrari born, Italian race car driver and automobile manufacturer (d. 1988) Dorothy Gish born, American actress (d. 1968) George Jessel born, American comedian (d. 1981) Peggy Guggenheim born, American art collector (d. 1979) Lewis Carroll died, British writer, mathematician (Alice in Wonderland)(b. 1832) Otto von Bismarck died, German statesman (b. 1815)"

There was a awful lot this year it seems. Tossed in more world references. A lot of goings on on the Spanish-American war.

912649.jpg

1898-O VAM-4 O Set High

4 III2 1 · C3b (O Set High) (181) I-2 R-3

Reverse C3b– Medium O mint mark set high and upright.

909129.jpg

968330.jpg

Reads Compliments of American Savings & Loan Association A Bank give away. Those were the days.

949473.jpg

1898 s

935479.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, moving on to 1899. Lets see what happened according to Wikipedia.

"The United States takes possession of Wake Island. The leaders of six Australian colonies meet in Melbourne to discuss the confederation of Australia as a whole. Spanish rule ends in Cuba. Spanish-American War: A peace treaty between the United States and Spain is ratified by the United States Senate. The Philippine-American War begins as hostilities break out in Manila. Voting machines are approved by the U.S. Congress for use in federal elections. Felix Hoffmann patents aspirin. Bayer registers aspirin as a trademark. At Sing Sing, Martha M. Place becomes the first woman executed in an electric chair. The paperclip is patented by Johan Vaaler, a Norwegian inventor. America's first juvenile court is established in Chicago. Alfred Dreyfus is pardoned. The Bronx Zoo opens in New York City. David Hilbert creates the modern concept of geometry with the publication of his book Grundlagen der Geometrie. Gold is discovered in Nome, Alaska. Al Capone born, American gangster (d. 1947) Gloria Swanson born, American actress (d. 1983) Walter Lantz born, American animator (d. 1994) Duke Ellington born, American jazz musician, bandleader (d. 1974) Fred Astaire born, American singer, dancer, and actor (d. 1987) Ernest Hemingway born, American writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1961) Humphrey Bogart born, American actor (d. 1957) Princess Kaiulani died, last monarch of Hawaii (b. 1875) Horatio Alger died, Jr., American writer (b. 1832) Charles Alfred Pillsbury died, American industrialist (b. 1842)

970549.jpg

My twins both are

1899-O VAM-20 Doubled 1 and Reverse

20 III2 5 - C3j (Doubled 1 and Reverse) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 -1 in date is doubled slightly at bottom of upper crossbar. Open 9's.

Reverse C3j- Mint mark set hight and tilted to right. Motto and UNITED STATES OF AMERI are doubled towards rim.

909130.jpg

909246.jpg

1899 S

909459.jpg

Nice ones, Mark! :ninja: The P-mint is probably much nicer in hand than the pictures show ... did you use a flash? The O-mint looks prooflike to me.

(Edit: Here is my new 1899-O:)

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1899_O_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1899_O_rev.thumb.jpg

Large images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1899_O_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu..._1899_O_rev.jpg

Most of the pictures I take the coins look better in hand. For a little while I was using some paper as a reflector and they looked better. but since I don't have room to leave a set up, I've got lazy and just use a single bulb and no flash. (Really need to get another light again.

Both of the O's have almost full circle cracks on the reverse. One is just a little bit later then the other. What surprises me is even with the cracks they both have really nice strikes. New Orleans most of the time was not good on that. The spots appear to be some impurities in the planchets.

There is some question in the vamworld about the doubling (Original entry questioned as mechanical. Since one turned up with out the doubling.) on the reverse. But both of these have it.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright Moving to 1900. And according to Wikipedia

" Hawaii asks for a delegate at the U.S. Republican National Convention. The first electric bus becomes operational in New York City. John Hay announces the Open Door Policy to promote trade with China. The United States Census estimates the country's population was 70 million. Dr. Henry A. Rowland of Johns Hopkins University discovers the cause of the Earth's magnetism. United States President William McKinley places Alaska under military rule. The United States Senate accepts the Anglo-German treaty of 1899, in which the United Kingdom renounces its claims to the Samoan islands. Brigham H. Roberts is refused a seat in the United States House of Representatives because of his polygamy. Yaqui Indians in Texas proclaim independence from Mexico. The American League of Professional Baseball Clubs is organized in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with 8 founding teams. Kentucky Governor William Goebel dies of wounds after being shot by assassins on January 30. Goebel, who had prevailed in an a dispute over the winner of the 1899 election, had been sworn in on his deathbed. Former Secretary of State Caleb Powers is later found guilty in a conspiracy to kill Goebel. The Gold Standard Act is ratified, placing United States currency on the gold standard. Hawaii becomes an official U.S. territory. A powerful hurricane hits Galveston, Texas killing about 8,000. U.S. presidential election. Kodak introduced their first Brownie. Republican incumbent William McKinley is reelected by defeating Democratic challenger William Jennings Bryan. U.S. New Haven, CT Louis Lassen of Louis' Lunch makes the first modern-day hamburger sandwich. Hyman Rickover born, American admiral (d. 1986) Adlai Stevenson born, American politician (d. 1965) Spencer Tracy born, American actor (d. 1967) Ernie Pyle born, American journalist (d. 1945) Agnes Moorehead born, American actress (Bewitched) (d. 1974) Sammy Davis born, Sr., American dancer (d. 1988) George Curry died, Wild West robber (Wild Bunch) (shot) (b. 1864) Casey Jones died, American railway engineer (b. 1864) Belle Boyd died, American Confederate spy and actress (b. 1843)

Again another year that really had a lot going on. Boxer Rebellion, The Hague, Second Boer War, etc.

Archived