CoinPeople.com

Morgan Dollar by year

Mark Stilson

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The toning does look like twins. Decent chance both were stored in Wayte Raymond boards.

1882 cc looks like it has the clash at the lips? I know its a vam 3 but not absolute sure which one.

I think its a

1882-CC VAM-3B Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s, Die Break Cap

3B III23 · C3a (Doubled Date & Ear, Clashed Obverse n & s, Die Break Cap) (178) I-3 R-5

Obverse III23– Multiple die clashes with partial incuse n of In from reverse shows faintly next to Liberty head neck and faint partial incuse s of Trust from reverse showing in right hair vee of lower hair edge. Late die state shows die crack thru wheat leaves with displaced field above Phrygian cap. Faint counterclash at lips and at cap ribbon end. (Formerly VAM-6A) The right "C" is set low. Check here to confirm which one.

1882 O this is a wild guess since I can't see if there is doubling. VAM 6? It does appear to be a tilted O mint mark.

1882 P I'm not going to be much help here. I don't spot anything that jumps out at me.

1882 S I am having a hard time here also. On the reverse right wreath I can't tell if that is damage or die chip which would make it a VAM 13 A

Last chance to post your 1882 morgans. I'll swap it to 1883 tonite.

1883 from Wikipedia.

"The first electric lighting system employing overhead wires begins service in Roselle, New Jersey (it was built by Thomas Edison). The first vaudeville theater is opened, in Boston, Massachusetts. Brooklyn Bridge is opened to traffic after 13 years of construction. In New York City, a rumor that the Brooklyn Bridge is going to collapse causes a stampede which crushes 12 people. The world's first rodeo is held in Pecos, Texas. Krakatoa or Krakatau volcano erupts at 10:02 AM (local time); 163 villages are destroyed, 36,380 killed. The Orient Express begins operation. American Old West: Self-described "Black Bart the Po-et" gets away with his last stagecoach robbery, but leaves an incriminating clue that eventually leads to his capture. "

Would be nice to have some more fellow CP'ers contribute here ... maybe a bump message in the main forum would help?

BTW, today I just received the 1885-CC Morgan I won in the recent Heidelberger Münzhandlung H. Grün auction. It is not in a holder, but it is at least MS-64 (IMHO) and a toned beauty! These pictures do not do it justice ... will try to provide my own when the time comes, of course. ;):ninja:

Okay moving on to 1883

1883 S this one has slight mechanical doubling of America on the reverse.

920704.jpg

1883 cc gsa dollar VAM-5 Doubled Date, Dash Under 8, CC/CC

5(revised) III22 · C3d (Doubled Date, Dash Under 8, CC/CC) (178) I-3 R-3

Obverse III22– Entire date slightly doubled. 1 is doubled on surface of upper crossbar, on right side of vertical shaft and at top of bottom crossbar. First 8 doubled on surface at left inside of both loops. Second 8 doubled slightly at top right outside of lower loop on some specimens. 3 doubled slightly on right side of upper ball and at bottom inside of lower loop. A dash or short dot dash appears under second 8 in some early die state specimens but is polished away on later die states as is metal in denticles below 18. Ear slightly doubled on right and left inside. RIBUS UNUM slightly doubled on right side. (VAMs 5, 6 & 7 from same dies.)

Reverse C3d– First C in mint mark is doubled at bottom inside. Second C is doubled slightly at lower left of upper serif. Horizontal die gouge thru eagle’s mouth and in denticles below DO.

VAM 5 dies are believed to have the 1883-CC VAM-5A wing scratch in all stages. These dies were clashed and repolished several times. There are two stages of the VAM-5A. One has the N clash clearly visible. The other has the prominent 'starburst' patterns at both wing tips(this was the original version of VAM-5A before the clash was listed. When these fade out, they get called VAM-5 until the die break in the back of the cap forms VAM-5B.

917584.jpg

1883 O Morgan VAM-39 Date Digits in Denticles, Die Flake in 8 39 III222 · C3a (Date Digits in Denticles, Die Flake in 8) (181) I-3 R-4 Obverse III222– Tops of date digits showing in denticles as short straight bar in denticles below 1, curved bars in denticles below first 8, second 8 and to left of 3. Die flake in lower loop of first 8 and under lower loop on right outside. Top and rear of Phrygian cap and right wheat leaf slightly doubled.

923136.jpg

1883 die almost full die crack on reverse

915994.jpg

1883-O VAM-43

43 III224 · C3a (Doubled Ear, Faint Dash Under 8) (181) I-2 R-5

Obverse III224– Ear slightly doubled at right inside. Faint dash under second 8.

Reverse C3a- Small die chip at rear of top arrowhead.

909648.jpg

1883 Real nice mechanical doubling on "United" on reverse.

909120.jpg

Edit to note. The vam world is constantly being updated. Just in this batch I had to update the information twice. New die pairs being found and old vams being recognized as existing ones.

Nice work, and nice coins, Mark! ;) It's good to have at least one knowledgeable VAM enthusiast on the forum.

Here are 1883-CC and 1883-O. I don't have 1883-P :ninja: and my 1883-S is only in grade F or VF at best (inherited from my stepdad), so I won't show that one. I have included large resolution close-ups of the date and MM area for these:

1883-CC, in its GSA holder:

The date has no doubling that I can see; reverse appears to make it a VAM 2 slanted CC variety:

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1883_CC_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1883_CC_rev.thumb.jpg

Mintmark:

1883_CC_rev_MM_detail.jpg

Larger images:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...1883_CC_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...1883_CC_rev.jpg

1883-O, PCGS MS-62

This is in an old green PCGS holder. It would probably grade MS-63 today.

(Probably an ordinary VAM 1):

USA_Morgan_Dollar_1883_O_PCGS_MS_62_obv.thumb.jpgUSA_Morgan_Dollar_1883_O_PCGS_MS_62_rev.thumb.jpg

Date:

1883_O_obv_date_detail.jpg

Mintmark:

1883_O_rev_MM_detail.jpg

Larger:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...S_MS_62_obv.jpg

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery/albu...S_MS_62_rev.jpg

Looks like (at least to me.) You pegged them. Can't tell from the pictures but is the first c of cc doubled? The cc does have a slight die clash at the neck, but does not appear to have any letter transfers. The O double check for 1 in denticles on the picture there appears to be a slant inside the denticle. Small stuff is really tough to see off a picture.

Looks like (at least to me.) You pegged them. Can't tell from the pictures but is the first c of cc doubled? The cc does have a slight die clash at the neck, but does not appear to have any letter transfers. The O double check for 1 in denticles on the picture there appears to be a slant inside the denticle. Small stuff is really tough to see off a picture.

CC is not doubled, AFAICT ... the VAM book does mention die polish marks inside the C's, though. (I don't have these at home right now, unfortunately, so can't use the microscope).

I see a die clash now on Liberty's neck, but on the O, not CC ... most likely from the eagle's beak? (You do have eagle eyes, Mark! :ninja: ) I'll check out vamworld.com, I remember you sending me there sometime ago. Had a bit of a problem before due to the large number of images on page load, but I have a faster internet connection now.

Maybe we should hold off longer before going to a new date? There are some tough ones coming up, and it would give people more time who might not see it otherwise and who might just be able to supply one of the rarer ones.

BTW Mark, was it really the 1883-CC or the O mint with the die clash which you mentioned?

Maybe we should hold off longer before going to a new date? There are some tough ones coming up, and it would give people more time who might not see it otherwise and who might just be able to supply one of the rarer ones.

BTW Mark, was it really the 1883-CC or the O mint with the die clash which you mentioned?

The CC seems to have a small clash on the neck just below the chin. Looks to be the right angle for the transfer from the wing. I also see what appears to be a clash on the O also on the reverse by the eagles left wing.

The Texas connection. Bob's (originally Texas) Your San Antonio, Not listed But my Houston.

Now, now ... I'm starting to get homesick again! :ninja:

San Antonio = Most beautiful city in the entire USA!

Houston = Secret capital of the world!

I still remember the description of down town Houston at nite as being something from a "Post Apocalyptic movie" by a news paper article long time back. Which used to be pretty true. At least now it has a few attractions that draw in people at nite. Still gets pretty eerie at nite some areas. I really like the San Antonio area to visit. But my favorite area is the deep woods in east Texas.

1884 o NGC certified struck thru error obverse

VAM-5 Far Date

5 III2 4-C3a (Far Date) (181) I-1 R-2

Obverse III2 4 - Date set further right than normal.

Reverse C3a - II O oval mint mark. Opening filled almost flush on some specimens.

909639.jpg

1884-O VAM-16 Very Far Date

16 III2 5 - C3a (Very Far Date) (181) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 5 - Date set much further right than normal.

928678.jpg

1884-S VAM-11 S/S Filled, Very Far Date

11 III23 · C3f (S/S Filled, Very Far Date) ( ? ) I-2 R-5

Reverse C3f– IV S mint mark filled and tilted slightly left with curved line at bottom right inside of lower loop. Small die chip on upper cluster of left wreath next to E.

The date is very far and slightly slanted with a dot on the surface of the lower right of the upright of the 4, near the base.

915655.jpg

1884-O VAM-13 O/O Centered High

13 III2 1 - C3i (O/O Centered High) (181) I-2 R-3

Obverse III2 1- Normal die.

Reverse C3i– II O mint mark re-punched with original showing as a curved line centered at top of opening.

909454.jpg

1884 CC gsa dollar VAM 8 CC Tilted Left

8 III2 1 - C3d (CC Tilted Left) I-2 R-3

Reverse C3d- Large CC mint mark tilted left. Same reverse as

916987.jpg

Don't worry we will take the time. Also like Bob did just having a slot here you can come back at anytime and edit add pictures or change out pictures in your message.

Can't tell for sure but may be a far date, maybe very far date?

datepos.jpg

I still remember the description of down town Houston at nite as being something from a "Post Apocalyptic movie" by a news paper article long time back. Which used to be pretty true. At least now it has a few attractions that draw in people at nite. Still gets pretty eerie at nite some areas. I really like the San Antonio area to visit. But my favorite area is the deep woods in east Texas.

You know I live in San Antonio...

Not a whole lot of coin places though, or at least not a whole lot of good ones :ninja:

Archived