CoinPeople.com

Advise on the Authenticity

alexbq2

I have no experience with this type of gold coin, but at a glance, it certainly looks very unusual. The last photo you provided shows an odd relief, but I cannot say for sure. Also, the color of the coin is odd for gold, even old gold. I cannot say for certain, but here are a few photos of real ones to compare.

http://www.numismaticsonline.com/gscoins/i.../eagle-main.jpg

http://www.coin1.ru/img/Five_roubles_gold_8.jpg

I am not saying that this coin is fake, but I have almost no experience with gold coins. Please provide your learned opinions on the authenticity of the following coin:

It looks normal for a gold coin of this date. Prior to 1845 Russian gold was often

poorly struck. The reverse die appears more worn than the obverse which is not

unusual for this period. I see nothing to indicate that it is bad.

RWJ

It looks normal for a gold coin of this date. Prior to 1845 Russian gold was often

poorly struck. The reverse die appears more worn than the obverse which is not

unusual for this period. I see nothing to indicate that it is bad.

RWJ

Thank You. I thought the coin looked Ok, but I asked the current owner of the coin to weigh it in grams, and it came out to only 5.33! More than a gram light. I'm guessing that such violation of the remedium is impossible for a gold coin. Is this a really good fake?

Thank You. I thought the coin looked Ok, but I asked the current owner of the coin to weigh it in grams, and it came out to only 5.33! More than a gram light. I'm guessing that such violation of the remedium is impossible for a gold coin. Is this a really good fake?

The weight given is much too light, even considering the reverse. It is possible that

the reverse die was normal, and not worn, but even artificial wear on the reverse would

not lighten a coin that much. It still looks normal to me but cannot be genuine given the

weight you report. Gold coins were individually weighed at the St. Petersburg Mint and

such an error virtually impossible.

RWJ

I am not saying that this coin is fake, but I have almost no experience with gold coins. Please provide your learned opinions on the authenticity of the following coin:

this five gold rubles does not match either with Georgii Mikhailovich one or MiM catalog's one :ninja:

Archived