CoinPeople.com

My 1/3 farthing set complete!

Hussulo

Latest one added 1884:

25qgg9w.jpg

I have now completed the British 1/3 Farthing set in PSGS MS condition.

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/AlltimeSet...=14010&ac=0

The PCGS site only has Victorian ones listed but I've spoken to them about adding them all.

The complete dates for a set and my grades are below:

1827 - George IV MS64BN

1835 - William IV MS62BN

1844 - Victoria MS64BN

1866 - Victoria MS63RB

1868 - Victoria MS63RB

1876 - Victoria MS63RB

1878 - Victoria MS63RB

1881 - Victoria MS64RD

1884 - Victoria MS62RB

1885 - Victoria MS64RB

1902 - Edward VII MS64RD

1913 - George V MS65RD

I now need the varieties and proofs. Although I might move on to the other fractionals.

Beautiful and Congrats! Do you have the series complete by date or are mints included? What was the most challenging one to add?

Thanks.

I have the series complete by date, there was only one mint for them (only 12 coins needed).

The hardest to find in MS condition for me were (probably in this order):

1835, 1844, 1868, 1866, 1876.

The ones I haven't added yet:

The varieties I know of:

1844 Large "G" in REG

1844 RE instead of REG and

1866 No stop after D.G

The years proofs were minted:

1827, 1835, 1866, 1868, 1881

1868 has three varieties of proofs, Bronze, Cupro-nickel and Aluminium.

Some of the proofs range from Extremely Rare to Excessively Rare, so I may never get to own them.

• 2 months later...

Thank you.

What was the full story about them being minted for Malta. Where else were they used. I cant seem to find that many here in Malta. The one or two that I have I obtained from the UK via Ebay.

Third farthings were produced to be used in Malta. The Grano was the currency which was used locally. It was equivalent to 1/12 of a penny. The British therefore decided to introduce a denomination equivalent to their own existing currency.

Here is a price guide to them on my website. I have recently been working on a price guide as an addition to CoinsGB.com

http://www.coinsgb.com/Price_Guide/Third_Farthings.html

Thanks for the info. It's prompted me to digout my two specimens and place them on omnicoin:

William IV 1835

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=970269

(You can actually see Britannias nipples when I use magnifying glass to look at this coin! The field are shiny but I don't think it's a proof just merely UNC. Beautiful.)

Edward VII 1902

http://www.omnicoin.com/coin_view_enlarge.aspx?id=970270

(UNC with intact lusture)

I'll certainly keep an eye out for some more from now on.

But tell me why the slabs? Is it a preference or is it as an investment aid?

Cheers,

George

Nice coins guys. I think it is an often overlooked series.

I'm happy that my Third Farthing was nominated and won a prize at PCGS for being one of the best PCGS British sets. Thanks to Rob for selling me a couple of the coins and so helping me build the set. :ninja:

BEST BRITISH SETS

Hornreich Collection - Victoria Sovereign Date Set, Proof (1838-1893) Caranett - Edward VII Sovereign Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1902-1910)

Howard S. Hornreich (Hornreich Collection) - George III Penny Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1797-1807)

Sulo Collection Of Third Farthings - Complete Third Farthing Date Set, Circulation Strikes (1827-1913)

You can see them here:

http://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=57737

Thanks.

The next ones I'm going to collect are the 1/4 and 1/2 farthings. I think there is something like 4 1/4 farthings and 13 1/2 farthing dates to collect, which are the standard business strike ones. After I have these I may try and add the varieties and a couple of proofs.

Probably the best way to see the dates for your self is to click on them in the price guide section which I've been working on my website:

http://www.coinsgb.com/Price_Guide/Price_Guide.html

Regards,

Hus

Great website! Very useful! Thanks for sharing.

By the way you were not wrong about the 1844. I'm finding get difficult to get one in a good grade.

Yes it can be quite pricey compared to the other dates. The easiest dates to find them in Unc are 1902 and 1913,

the earlier dates are quite tricky.

But tell me why the slabs? Is it a preference or is it as an investment aid?

It all started more by accident. Just over half the 1/3 farthings I purchased were already in slabs.

I thought about braking them out but then I thought it would be fun to get the others slabbed and enter them into the

registry.

My main collecting interest at the moment is World gold coins. I buy them regardless if they are in slabs or out of slabs

the main criteria is that I like the look and design of the coin I am buying and that it isn't of a type and date I currently own.

I have no plans on getting my raw gold slabbed.

Thank you for the compliment on my site. :ninja:

Hus

Congratulation on the registry win. I am considering slabbing some of my coins and am am somewhat torn in between sending them to PCGS or NGC. NGC seems to be the preferred "slab house" for foreign coins while PCGS is more favored for US coins. I have recently came across more and more foreign coins slabbed by PCGS. Is it because they are more popular with American collectors?

By the way, there is/was a 1881 NGC MS65 BN 1/3 farthing on sale for $99 here and the same dealer is also selling NGC MS64 BN 1885 for $75. Look too pricey for me and I rarely buy slabbed coins myself unless it is South Africa :ninja:.

Congratulation on the registry win. I am considering slabbing some of my coins and am am somewhat torn in between sending them to PCGS or NGC. NGC seems to be the preferred "slab house" for foreign coins while PCGS is more favored for US coins. I have recently came across more and more foreign coins slabbed by PCGS. Is it because they are more popular with American collectors?

I agree think on the whole NGC seem to be more preferred by World coin collectors and PCGS by US. I don't think their is much of a difference between the two when it comes to grading. I have seen them both miss-attribute varieties in the past.

We also now have CGS coin drading in the UK. It's just most of my 1/3 farthings were in PCGS holders so I've just stuck with PCGS.

My fractional farthing collection is just a fun to me and I'm not doing it as an investment, but I do think they are undervalued.

Archived