CoinPeople.com

Denarius of C. Vibius C.F. Pansa 90 BC.

constanius

963920.jpg

Silver denarius. C. VIBIVS. C.F. PANSA Denarius. 90 BC.

PANSA, laureate head of Apollo right/ Minerva in quadriga right, C. VIBIVS. C.F. Sears# 242. 18mm

C. for Caius

C.F. for Caii Filius

The Republic's coinage was minted in Rome in a building located beside the Temple of Juno Moneta on the Capitoline Hill. A triumvirate of magistrates were in charge of the mint. These magistrates were elected each year, so it is easy to give a precise date to this undated denarius.

The position of Mint Magistrate was important as it was one of the steps to higher office & perhaps more importantly the magistrate could, as in this case, put his name on the coins thus becoming well known.

Minerva, the Roman goddess of wisdom, medicine, the arts, dyeing, science and trade, but also of war. Compares to the Greek Athena. The Temple of Minerva is on the Aventine hill. She was also worshipped as one of the Capitoline Triad (the three supreme gods Jupiter, Juno and Minerva) on the Capitoline Hill in Rome.

On this coin she is shown in her war mode, albeit slightly beheaded, in a chariot pulled by four horses (a quadriga).

Republican coinage was minted in Rome in a building located beside the Temple of Juno Moneta on the Capitoline Hill. A triumvirate of magistrates were in charge of the mint. These magistrates were elected each year, so it is easy to give a precise date to this undated denarius.

The position of Mint Magistrate was important as it was one of the steps to higher office & perhaps more importantly the magistrate could, as in this case, put his name on the coins thus becoming well known.

Both very interesting facts that I didn't know! I don't even know how my nation's Treasury/Mint works!

Both very interesting facts that I didn't know! I don't even know how my nation's Treasury/Mint works!

The Roman Republic's Treasury was located in the Temple of Saturn, which was was also called 'Aerarium' (from latin 'aes', in its derived sense of money). It not only contained the money and accounts of the state but the laws, decrees etc & the standards of the legions.

The Roman Republic's Treasury was located in the Temple of Saturn, which was was also called 'Aerarium' (from latin 'aes', in its derived sense of money). It not only contained the money and accounts of the state but the laws, decrees etc & the standards of the legions.

And was probably very well guarded as a result?

Archived