CoinPeople.com

Interesting russian coins in auction

janneen

Mmm, that is a nice plate! LINK :ninja:

The estimate (2,500.00 EUR = 3,411.82 USD) is likely far too low, given the price realized for a less handsome example LINK offered last January.

Those are not estimates but starting prices. Estimates are not given in Holmasto auctions.

Those are not estimates but starting prices. Estimates are not given in Holmasto auctions.

Thank you for the clarification. :ninja:

I will be very surprised if it does not sell for many multiples of that starting price. Many European auction houses seem to have a habit of providing very low estimates (or starting prices) for the lots they offer at auction. Perhaps it makes for good publicity when things sell for much higher amounts.

In my opinion, it's a very attractive example of its type. ;)

HERE is an interesting 1 bisti coin attributed to Georgia.

It appears to be an Islamic coin of some sort (Persian?) countermarked with a Russian eagle that resembles the style of eagle used on Russian copper coins in the first half of the 18th century.

Hopefully, one of the copper experts here will be able to shed some light on it.

It appears to be an Islamic coin of some sort (Persian?) countermarked with a Russian eagle that resembles the style of eagle used on Russian copper coins in the first half of the 18th century.

Hopefully, one of the copper experts here will be able to shed some light on it.

I can’t quite figure out the undercoin, but it could a Georgian 18th century bisti or half bisti. Could be a Persian coin. I believe Georgians used Persian script on their coins at that time. But during the reign of Erekle II, Georgia became a Russian protectorate, and issued coins with the double headed eagle:

947060.jpg

I believe that countermarking of old, and foreign coins, was also practiced. At that time the Georgian mint was independent of the Russian mints, and their coins are somewhat rustic.

I have 2 coins with countermarks in my collection.I will add images later .

Please see Bitkin Part 2 page 995 #17,listed 3 variety with eagle.Also you can find more information in RNSJ,Work of GIM and work of Severova about Georgian Coins.

Rarenum

I have 2 coins with countermarks in my collection.I will add images later .

Please see Bitkin Part 2 page 995 #17,listed 3 variety with eagle.Also you can find more information in RNSJ,Work of GIM and work of Severova about Georgian Coins.

Rarenum

Thank you to both alexbq2 and Rarenum for these helpful replies. I do not have access to my references at the moment, but will check them when I do. :ninja:

and 1830 copper selection - they gladly described as patterns but forgot to add novodels :ninja:

Thank you to both alexbq2 and Rarenum for these helpful replies. I do not have access to my references at the moment, but will check them when I do. :ninja:

Please I.Dobrovolsky. Georgian Coins from Hermitage,image#4 link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Spassky-REFERENCE-BOOK...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Rarenum ;)

Please I.Dobrovolsky. Georgian Coins from Hermitage,image#4 link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Spassky-REFERENCE-BOOK...%3A1%7C294%3A50

Rarenum :ninja:

Please same book but next article by M B Severova - Copper coins Iranian towns with countemarks of two-egle ;)

you area always welcome from a literature expert ;)

Results are now available.

http://www.holmasto.com/index.php?page=75&auctgrp=15922

The plate money brought 14800€.

Janne

Georgia 1 Bisti Countermark: Doubleheaded eagle. Rare Cu ½ 400 - HAMMER PRICE - (400) € :ninja:

Results are now available.

http://www.holmasto.com/index.php?page=75&auctgrp=15922

The plate money brought 14800€.

Janne

Janne, thank you for this post. :ninja:

Do you know if there is a buyer's commission in this sale and, if so, whether or not it is included in the 14800€ price realized?

Janne, thank you for this post. :ninja:

Do you know if there is a buyer's commission in this sale and, if so, whether or not it is included in the 14800€ price realized?

From their webpage: "A buyer's charge of

12,2 % will be added on the hammered price."

So, 14800€+12,2%=16650,60€

Janne

From their webpage: "A buyer's charge of

12,2 % will be added on the hammered price."

So, 14800€+12,2%=16650,60€

Janne

(few seconds to find out ) in a link what you provided - at the top right corner 3 flags with languages available - one of them is english, clicking that brings you to auction link, then its terms, where the answer is of 12,2 %...this auction house and other have a habbit send out catatlog very late, sometimes after auction...of course its website can be used instead...but as of fact... :ninja:

(few seconds to find out ) in a link what you provided - at the top right corner 3 flags with languages available - one of them is english, clicking that brings you to auction link, then its terms, where the answer is of 12,2 %...this auction house and other have a habbit send out catatlog very late, sometimes after auction...of course its website can be used instead...but as of fact... :ninja:

They send it usually 3-4 days before the auction. On the other hand the webpage is available sometimes 2 months before the auction, partly at least. Then complete catalogue in the web is usually available 3-4 weeks before the auction.

They send it usually 3-4 days before the auction. On the other hand the webpage is available sometimes 2 months before the auction, partly at least. Then complete catalogue in the web is usually available 3-4 weeks before the auction.

have you ever won something from them, i found that is impossible :ninja:

have you ever won something from them, i found that is impossible :ninja:

Actually no. I usually sell my coins in Holmasto auctions.

Lots of russian bidders there and what they get from Holmasto auction they can sell in Russia with a profit.

Actually no. I usually sell my coins in Holmasto auctions.

Lots of russian bidders there and what they get from Holmasto auction they can sell in Russia with a profit.

I sent you PM.

Archived