CoinPeople.com

The 1789 AM denga of Anninsk Mint

one-kuna

THE 1789 AM DENGA OF ANNINSK MINT

This short article was published in the Works of Moscow numismatic society, vol 2, issue 3, 1901, Moscow.

The original text is in Russian. Translated into English by VD (2009).

In October this year (2009) Gorny /Oslomynthandel will be auctioning the copper collection of Tom Willy Bakken which has the 1789 AM denga. The topic was already posted by me on Russian coins forum however this article I preffer to keep here.

A. Nechaev (Member of Moscow numismatic society)

A member of society V V Ber was demonstrating such 1789 denga of Anninsk mint on one of our meeting. The Anninsk mint, located in Perm province, now Osinsk uyezd, at Anninsk village, was founded, as known, by Catherine II and began its operation in 1789. This mint was striking exclusively Catherine 5 kopeks and sometimes 2 kopeks, and then in 1797 and 1798 - polushki, dengi, kopeks, and 2 kopeks with crowned P I (Paul I) and letters AM. Paul I closed then a mint by his order in 1798.

In the Register of copper coins of Anninsk mint (see publication of the Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich, Volume I , Coins of Catherine II) published the images of kopeks, dengas, and polushkas, struck in limited mintages in 1790-1795, but such coins with AM letter never met. As the Grand Duke presums, they were struck with no letters.

The present coin appearred the first time. As the Grand Duke Georgii Mikhailovich posseses a polushka in his collection with letters AM, which marked by Ch Ch Giel by of the highest rarity, it can be surely said that this denga is same high rarity.

This denga does not differ from others simliar coins of other mints but only having a mint mark AM in the horse legs of Saint George. This specimen very well preserved however has light circulation.

• 5 months later...

Gorny & Mosch

Auction 183

October 15-16, 2009

Collection of Tom Willy Baken

Lot 7210

Denga 1789 AM

estimate - 3500 euro, sold 2800 euro

Archived