CoinPeople.com

Sainte Madeleine de la Cite

A scarcer silver jeton dated 1710 which was issued for the Paris church `Sainte Madeleine de la Cite'. Obverse depicts mature bust of Louis XIV (the sun king) and the reverse a scene from the last supper.

963774.jpg

Ian, you sent me surrying to the web to find just where one would find Sainte Madeleine en la Cité in Paris. Turns out it was pulled down in the Revoultion. Used to be in Rue de la Juiverie, now Rue de la Cité. A former synagogue converted in the XII century into a church, also "the seat of the oldest of Parisian confraternities --la grande confrérie de Notre Dame [...] which had the archbishop for its abbot and the president of Parliament for its dean" (pp 281-282 in Walks in Paris by Augustus John Cuthbert Hare). Here is the link: Walks in Paris

Ian, you sent me surrying to the web to find just where one would find Sainte Madeleine en la Cité in Paris. Turns out it was pulled down in the Revoultion. Used to be in Rue de la Juiverie, now Rue de la Cité. A former synagogue converted in the XII century into a church, also "the seat of the oldest of Parisian confraternities --la grande confrérie de Notre Dame [...] which had the archbishop for its abbot and the president of Parliament for its dean" (pp 281-282 in Walks in Paris by Augustus John Cuthbert Hare). Here is the link: Walks in Paris

Sorry mate. I should have said `the now defunct........' :ninja:

Thanks for the additional info. It adds more significance to the piece.

• 4 years later...

....noses to one side for the moment, here's another jeton that was struck this time in 1750 for `La Madeleine', this time during the reign of Louis XV.

1024079.jpg

Nice jeton Ian.

Somewhere in all my junque from our junket to Paris a few years ago I have some medals that commemorate that church - part of a series of medals for various venues all over Paris.

Dig 'em out, scan and post them so we can see 'em too. :)

• 3 weeks later...

These are really nice. You guys make me "almost" wish that I had expanded my collecting into this area.