CoinPeople.com

1842 Ferdinand Philippe, Duke of Orléans

1842 Death of Ferdinand Philippe, Duke of Orléans, France

963727.jpg

Details - 25mm - probably rare

This oddly shaped (10-sided) lead medal has the appearance of having been produced in haste after his accidental death. My usual criteria for post-1821 medals is to collect those relating to people who had a direct career during the Revolution and/or the Empire. I bought this because of its shape and because arguably his death contributed to the downfall of his much less popular father six years later. Had he still been alive it's possible Louis-Phillipe I could have stepped down in his favor or the Duke could have at least mounted a counter movement against the Bonapartists. Pure speculation of course and I'm actually blathering about a period I know very little of (1848-ish). Never did like that twit Napoleon III...

They actually produced a lead medal for the public? How common or uncommon was that? Isn't it very soft and easy to nick?

I had (and sold) another token for the Duc d'Orléans's death... Seems he jumped from a moving carriage and took a nasty tumble on cobblestones. right?

They actually produced a lead medal for the public? How common or uncommon was that? Isn't it very soft and easy to nick?

I had (and sold) another token for the Duc d'Orléans's death... Seems he jumped from a moving carriage and took a nasty tumble on cobblestones. right?

Exactly. I suspect more people died of those types of accidents than we realize, horses being big animals that *do* sometimes get strange thoughts into their heads. I learned that the hard way before moving far away from farms... As far as lead they're not terribly common for the exact reasons you mention and you can see on this one some nicking and what I'd call tin pest if it wasn't made of lead.

Archived