CoinPeople.com

Boulton/Watt Medal Booklet Question

Dear Board!

Does anyone have access to the "Medallic Portraits of Matthew Boulton and James Watt" by Robert James Eidlitz (1928)? I am in the process of writing a coin article on James Watt for The Numismatist and have been unable to obtain some scans from the booklet. (Since it is so short, I just assume having all the pages scanned.) Unfortunately, I am under a June 4 deadline to finish the project!

Any help the board can provide would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for your time.

Best regards,

Mark Fox

Michigan

I assume that you've already contacted the ANA Library. Have you tried TAMS? You might also try contacting a gentleman named David Sklow. He's a dealer in Numismatic Literature and used to do research for the ANA. The link to David's website is below. He's got a ton of contacts in that end of the business. Hope this helps and best of luck with your article. Look forward to reading it.

David Sklow's website

LINK TO COPPERCORNER

Bill McKivor, www.thecoppercorner.com.

Bill might have a copy, this from his site.

Watt_death_o2h_small.JPG

Watt_death_r2h_small.JPG

James Watt commemorative death medal. Bust of James Watt/Steam engine. This 45mm medal is in copper, by G., Mills. BHM 983. Not a Soho product, but extremely interesting considering that the medal pictured was held in the personal collection of the son, James Watt Jr., in memory of his father.

Ex James Watt Jr. collection. Morton and Eden, Nov 2002, Lot 270

Boulton & Watt Family Death Medals.

Dear Art and constanius,

Thank you very much for your help! I hadn't thought of David Sklow. But yes, I have made inquiries with the ANA. My article is being written for their magazine, The Numismatist, and one of the editors promised to send me scans of the booklet some weeks ago. However, I fear they must have been too busy, and so that is why I am looking elsewhere. Bill McKivor does indeed have a copy of Eidlitz's work too, but he recently told me he has been working to death on his May Token Congress and wouldn't be able to help much with anything until after May 20. So that is my dilemma, although I am going to get in contact with Mr. Sklow as soon as possible.

By the way, according to Forrer (Biographical dictionary of medallists', vol. IV, 1909, p. 82) George Mills was "employed at the Soho Mint after Kütchler's departure, and it was while there that he executed the large Portarit-medallion of James Watt." So is the Watt death medal by Mills possibly a Soho medal after all?

Thank you again for everyone's help.

Best regards,

Mark Fox

Michigan

Archived