CoinPeople.com

A grading question

UncleBobo

I got this in the mail today. I purchased it site unseen. I broke own my first rule about buying coins.

It was sold to me as a MS-65.

The obverse looks fine to me. Some toning spots around the edges and on the cheek but nothing distracting.

gallery_13_58_30045.jpg

The reverse, however, features a very mashed down indistinct monticello doorway and a cut in the "S" on the top at the end of "pluribus".

gallery_13_58_56283.jpggallery_13_58_1377.jpg

So, what grade would you give it?

To me, the problems with the reverse appear to be planchet related, especially the thing going on by the S. The Monticello problem could have been caused by a grease filled die. Does the coin have lustre on the problem areas, or does the area appear to have marks from damage inflicted after it left the mint?

Personally I wouldn't pay MS65 price for the coin, but if the problems were caused during the minting, it could sell for more than MS65 price as there are folks who collect grease filled die errors.

The luster is intact.

I was wondering exactly what would have caused that mashed up look.

Anyone else want to give it a grade?

To me, the problems with the reverse appear to be planchet related, especially the thing going on by the S.  The Monticello problem could have been caused by a grease filled die.  Does the coin have lustre on the problem areas, or does the area appear to have marks from damage inflicted after it left the mint?

Personally I wouldn't pay MS65 price for the coin, but if the problems were caused during the minting, it could sell for more than MS65 price as there are folks who collect grease filled die errors.

I have to agree with Blackhawk. The S thing appears to have been pre-strike. The Monticello damage could be a die fill or foreign matter like grease problem. It appears that something "soft" was either on the planchett or the die. Can't tell without seeing the coin.

I'd be reluctant to pay MS65 price for it, although in reality it could grade MS65 if the luster is there. Probably a treasure for an error collector.

Hi Uncle

Did you buy the coin with only a pic of the obverse ?

I think the reverse is a possible filled die ? really hard to tell from the pics.But thats what it looks like?

The obverse at the ear looks flat can you tell if that is rub?

the grade IMO a 63 maybe a 64 in hand with a possible filled die notation

Rick

Archived