CoinPeople.com

Grivennik 1781 with Countermark Gothic 'M'?!

Kan

Hello everybody!

I'm Bogdan, a medieval coin collector from Romania. Someone I know is selling the coin you can see pictured in attachment. It's a grivennik dated 1781, with a countermark - it looks like a Gothic 'M' - on Ekaterina's face. It could be a collector's mark - but it's right on the face and so disfiguring for the coin, not to mention that it looks a little worn! Or it could be a more or less contemporary countermark. Perhaps someone could help me with ID and some numismatic guidance in this matter, please. Thank you in advance and I apologize for the poor quality picture!

Grivennik_1781_cmk_small.jpg

Hello everybody!

I'm Bogdan, a medieval coin collector from Romania. Someone I know is selling the coin you can see pictured in attachment. It's a grivennik dated 1781, with a countermark - it looks like a Gothic 'M' - on Ekaterina's face. It could be a collector's mark - but it's right on the face and so disfiguring for the coin, not to mention that it looks a little worn! Or it could be a more or less contemporary countermark. Perhaps someone could help me with ID and some numismatic guidance in this matter, please. Thank you in advance and I apologize for the poor quality picture!

I am the first buyer, let me know where and how much. :ninja:

Indeed is the same coin as in the other thread, which I've read with interest. Obviously the current topic becomes useless in this new light. Thank you for replies and welcoming! :ninja: If found appropriate please close this thread.

Hello everybody!

Hello Bogdan again,

thank you for your interest in this topic and especially for your soberness on estimating "Gothic M" as a collector mark, and a contemporary mark.

Archived