CoinPeople.com

Some PR from the Hess-Divo auction 313

bobh

I sat in from the beginning at 10 o'clock until 1:30 lunch break, then back at 2 PM until my lot was called out at about 2:30 PM. Pretty nice collection with heavy emphasis on Swiss, French and Italian coins. Not many Russian coins, no copper, but just a few goodies in gold and silver:

Alexander I. von Russland, 1813-1825. 50 Zloty 1819 I.B., Warschau. Bitkin 807

Estimate: CHF 750

Hammer price: CHF 9,000

Alexander I., 1801-1825. 10 Rubel (Imperial) 1802 AI (kyril.), St. Peterburg (Bitkin 2)

Estimate: CHF 10,000

Hammer price: CHF 82,000 ;)

Bidding opened at CHF 32,000 on this one due to the write-in bids. There were practically no subsequent bids on the floor except for those which were phoned in! Obviously, the Russian dealers were staying at home...

The following one is now mine (bought it because it is of the "Adam's apple" variety, which I didn't own): ;)

Nikolaus II., 1894-1917. 15 Rubel 1897, St. Petersburg. Bitkin 2

Estimate: CHF 500

PR: CHF 650 :ninja:

Not bad, considering that these usually sell much higher! Probably we are seeing the effect of the world-wide depression on buyers in this price range. Hasn't reached the big players yet, obviously. But I really didn't have any competition on the floor, maybe one or two write-in bids at CHF 600 or so.

I didn't really keep track of the rest of the auction. There were several patterns which went for approx. the estimate; one exception to this was a Swiss 20 Franc gold Helvetia series minted in gold from Gondo, Switzerland -- only 19 were struck, and they have a special countermark to distinguish them from others of the same year (wonder how many fakes there are out there, though?). This one had an estimate of CHF 50,000 and went for 62,000, IIRC.

I sat in from the beginning at 10 o'clock until 1:30 lunch break, then back at 2 PM until my lot was called out at about 2:30 PM. Pretty nice collection with heavy emphasis on Swiss, French and Italian coins. Not many Russian coins, no copper, but just a few goodies in gold and silver:

Not bad, considering that these usually sell much higher! Probably we are seeing the effect of the world-wide depression on buyers in this price range. Hasn't reached the big players yet, obviously. But I really didn't have any competition on the floor, maybe one or two write-in bids at CHF 600 or so.

I didn't really keep track of the rest of the auction. There were several patterns which went for approx. the estimate; one exception to this was a Swiss 20 Franc gold Helvetia series minted in gold from Gondo, Switzerland -- only 19 were struck, and they have a special countermark to distinguish them from others of the same year (wonder how many fakes there are out there, though?). This one had an estimate of CHF 50,000 and went for 62,000, IIRC.

Thank you for sharing the above lots. Recession is obvious now. The rare 1754 ruble currently listed on e-bay was recently sold for $7000 at Gorny; do you know how much is it now - $3000. Recession. :ninja:

Bidding opened at CHF 32,000 on this one due to the write-in bids. There were practically no subsequent bids on the floor except for those which were phoned in! Obviously, the Russian dealers were staying at home...

Or maybe they were bidding by phone? ;)

Congratulations on your purchase. :ninja: I think it will look like it sold very cheaply in a few years.

Thank you for sharing the above lots. Recession is obvious now. The rare 1754 ruble currently listed on e-bay was recently sold for $7000 at Gorny; do you know how much is it now - $3000. Recession. :ninja:

10 gold rubles of Alexander I 1802 was sold 3 times at Gorny auctions but not so high according coinarchieve ;)

Archived