CoinPeople.com

I think this is a Russian coin?

rarinrare

My grandfather left me this coin among others. I dont know anything about them. Maybe some help here?

Yes it is a Russian 15 gold rubles of the Nicholas II ! :ninja:

Oh ok. Hmmm I dont know much about coins - well I dont know anything about them. Do you have any other information on them. Are they rare? What does the Russian say on the coin? Are the worth anything? Are the popular? What do the pictures mean? IS it gold?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My grandfather left me this coin among others. I dont know anything about them. Maybe some help here?

Welcome to Coin People, rarinrare! :ninja:

The coin, if genuine (there are fakes out there), is indeed gold. It should weigh 12.9 grams and be 24.5 mm in diameter. It is the slightly more common variety of the one-year type 15 rouble gold coin having the last three letters of the obverse legend underneath the neck. It should have an inscription along the edge of the coin in Cyrillic letters.

I don't see anything about this one that would indicate that it wasn't genuine, but you should get someone who knows these coins to have a look at it. Most importantly, though, is what you can do yourself: weigh it with scales accurate to at least 0.1 gram (not a kitchen scale, for example) and compare it to images of genuine coins. I am assuming that the images you have provided are images of your own coin and not taken from a catalog somewhere?

Of course, with prices of Russian coins today being very high, it is difficult to say exactly what it is worth. Having approx. 1/3 oz. fine gold, it will be worth about $300 (just the metal value) at today's gold prices. Judging from the condition which looks like VF or maybe XF at best, it should go for between $400 and $600 depending on whether you sell it directly to another collector (e.g. on eBay) or to a dealer (he might give you less). Nicer coins in AU/MS command much more, of course.

Welcome to Coin People, rarinrare! :ninja:

The coin, if genuine (there are fakes out there), is indeed gold. It should weigh 12.9 grams and be 24.5 mm in diameter. It is the slightly more common variety of the one-year type 15 rouble gold coin having the last three letters of the obverse legend underneath the neck. It should have an inscription along the edge of the coin in Cyrillic letters.

I don't see anything about this one that would indicate that it wasn't genuine, but you should get someone who knows these coins to have a look at it. Most importantly, though, is what you can do yourself: weigh it with scales accurate to at least 0.1 gram (not a kitchen scale, for example) and compare it to images of genuine coins. I am assuming that the images you have provided are images of your own coin and not taken from a catalog somewhere?

Of course, with prices of Russian coins today being very high, it is difficult to say exactly what it is worth. Having approx. 1/3 oz. fine gold, it will be worth about $300 (just the metal value) at today's gold prices. Judging from the condition which looks like VF or maybe XF at best, it should go for between $400 and $600 depending on whether you sell it directly to another collector (e.g. on eBay) or to a dealer (he might give you less). Nicer coins in AU/MS command much more, of course.

Thanks I really appreciate the response. That is the pictures of the coin not from a book. I sent the pictures to a coin collector and he said he would pay $850 for it because the condition is really good. No wear or really any scratches. I dont know anything about this. Its pretty cool though.

Should I get it graded?

Oh also there is russian on the rim of the coin. It looks pretty cool indeed. Anyone know what it says?

Thanks I really appreciate the response. That is the pictures of the coin not from a book. I sent the pictures to a coin collector and he said he would pay $850 for it because the condition is really good. No wear or really any scratches. I dont know anything about this. Its pretty cool though.

I just bought this one today for about $600:

http://www.sixbid.com/nav.php?lot=477&...lot&sid=129

If you have a buyer willing to pay $850 for it, I would go for it (assuming that you intend to sell it, of course).

It's very hard to judge grade by such small pictures. However, even with these pictures, it looks like there is definitely a lot of wear on the hair and also on the ear ... the crowns on the reverse look like they have also seen some wear. I wouldn't pay that much without seeing either the coin in person or else much better pictures.

Should I get it graded?

What for? :ninja: You already have a buyer who is willing to buy it raw...

Oh also there is russian on the rim of the coin. It looks pretty cool indeed. Anyone know what it says?

It should say:

kazakov_edges.jpg

It should say:

kazakov_edges.jpg

I think he was asking what it says in English. :ninja:

My Russian is poor, but the first 2 characters (in parentheses) are "A.G." which are the mintmaster's initials.

The rest gives the gold content using old Russian weights: Pure gold (content) 2 zolotniks (and) 69.36 dolei.

I wish my grandfather or great grandfather left such, so may be you re-consider selling point and leave it for your kids if this kind of money does not make a big difference? :ninja:

Definitley looking for people's opinion on what I should do with this coin. I know absolutley nothing about them so I don't know what to do. Is this coin rare? IS it kind of a dream for someone to own this or be able too. Is it a coin that will go up in value. Is it a piece of history in the coin world?

I agree with the above post that $600 isnt life changing by any means. If it is important and really a collectors item I would rather keep it than sell it for $600 that will just be gone on bills or something in a month.

Also, thats pretty cool you bought one today. I hope you enjoy it cause it blows my mind to hold a coin from 1897 that is gold.

See I have always wanted to get into coin collecting,especially now I have a whole bunch. I just do not feel safe buying off of ebay. I fear getting ripped off.

Thanks for your replies guys I look forward to hearing some answers to these questions

Definitley looking for people's opinion on what I should do with this coin. I know absolutley nothing about them so I don't know what to do. Is this coin rare? IS it kind of a dream for someone to own this or be able too. Is it a coin that will go up in value. Is it a piece of history in the coin world?

I agree with the above post that $600 isnt life changing by any means. If it is important and really a collectors item I would rather keep it than sell it for $600 that will just be gone on bills or something in a month.

Also, thats pretty cool you bought one today. I hope you enjoy it cause it blows my mind to hold a coin from 1897 that is gold.

See I have always wanted to get into coin collecting,especially now I have a whole bunch. I just do not feel safe buying off of ebay. I fear getting ripped off.

Thanks for your replies guys I look forward to hearing some answers to these questions

You are getting some:

This coin is not rare in this condition at all but it is a gold, one year type coin, original value 15 rubles, Nicholas II portrait, russain imperial eagle, etc.

It is not kind of dream for someone, once you have this kind of money.

It is a piece of Russian monetary history but only one among millions.

In this kind of condition which guys told you above this gold piece likely will not go up unless gold does.

Do not buy on e-bay. Visit local coin show and see how it will go for you.

As I said earlier my Great grandfather came to this country back to 1918 right after Russian revolution and I wish he could've left me few. So whatever you decide, if I were you I would keep it anyway! Thank you for reading. :ninja:

thanks for the response. Well appreciated ^ ^ ^ ^

:ninja:

Archived