US State Quarter (Washington Quarter - Classis Look

Shariq Khan

US Washington Quarter - A Classic Look  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Like this Image

• Yes
    • No
    • Not Decided

Great idea, shariq. Your filter is an OK simulation but I think it needs much improvement. How are you designing the filter (i.e. how do you decide what to do to make the coin "classic")?

So here is a coin I have that looks very similar to the image above, but this coin is actually 50+ years old:

916533.jpg

Bravo, you did come up with a decent replica but let's see what else could be done. I looked at the few images of my coins that I have and looked specifically at coins with similar amounts of wear to the above quarter. Check out this proof coin from 1941:

916541.jpg

Now two differences are 1) it is silver (are you pretending the above quarter is silver or clad? if the latter, I don't know how clad coins tone compared to silver coins) and 2) it is proof. But the reason I show this coin is because of the ring of toning around the outside. When I think of a "classic" coin, I think of toning beginning at the outside. Maybe if you create a darkened ring to layer over the filter.

This coin shows another aspect of a "classic" coin (at least in my opinion):

961942.jpg

Notice how there is heavier toning close to letters and design features. This is especially noticeable around the characters of "50 FRANCS" on the reverse.

Both of those features would require a lot of time to apply to the above coin. Those are what I noticed with the few pics of coins I have that are similar in wear to yours. That is a small sample. I'd like to see what other people think signifies a coin with a "classic look".

Again, great idea and good luck!

wsobv.jpgwsrev.jpg

Thanks for the details.

This was not a silver coin. I am attaching its orginal images for you.

from

Shariq Khan

So here is a coin I have that looks very similar to the image above, but this coin is actually 50+ years old:

916533.jpg

Bravo, you did come up with a decent replica but let's see what else could be done. I looked at the few images of my coins that I have and looked specifically at coins with similar amounts of wear to the above quarter. Check out this proof coin from 1941:

916541.jpg

Now two differences are 1) it is silver (are you pretending the above quarter is silver or clad? if the latter, I don't know how clad coins tone compared to silver coins) and 2) it is proof. But the reason I show this coin is because of the ring of toning around the outside. When I think of a "classic" coin, I think of toning beginning at the outside. Maybe if you create a darkened ring to layer over the filter.

This coin shows another aspect of a "classic" coin (at least in my opinion):

961942.jpg

Notice how there is heavier toning close to letters and design features. This is especially noticeable around the characters of "50 FRANCS" on the reverse.

Both of those features would require a lot of time to apply to the above coin. Those are what I noticed with the few pics of coins I have that are similar in wear to yours. That is a small sample. I'd like to see what other people think signifies a coin with a "classic look".

Again, great idea and good luck!

Archived