CoinPeople.com

Lets Make A Morgan Set.

tmoneyeagles

• 3 weeks later...
I'd like you to explain that one to me.... :ninja:

When you can send the same coin to even the big 3 TPG's (And this has happened plenty of times) and have it come back a different grade each time, it's a joke and a waste. Grading is subjective even amongst experts. It's absolutely foolish to go by the grade on a slab, buy the coin, not the tomb.

Secondly, why spend $30 or more to slab a $50 dollar (say a MS-64 common date Morgan) coin when you surely will not get your money back? I say this because most of your prompts Tmoney are about earning cash on eBay. The fact is you can in some instances, but it doesn't always work that work that way and you can incur seriously losses just as easy as gains.

I've been collecting for well over 18 years and I am sickened by the way slabbing has corrupted the coin market. There are countless lesser known slabbing companies that slab anything with a grade of MS-65 or even MS-70, and the coin doesn't even need to be an UNC. Maybe it takes time to learn to loathe these companies and their ruse among collectors, but I've seen their results from both ends of feast and famine.

Nope, would have started it if I had them. I have very few tpg coins. About 8 total tpg morgans.

I just realized this is a thread for slabbed coins. Now I see what you mean.

When you can send the same coin to even the big 3 TPG's (And this has happened plenty of times) and have it come back a different grade each time, it's a joke and a waste. Grading is subjective even amongst experts. It's absolutely foolish to go by the grade on a slab, buy the coin, not the tomb.

Secondly, why spend $30 or more to slab a $50 dollar (say a MS-64 common date Morgan) coin when you surely will not get your money back? I say this because most of your prompts Tmoney are about earning cash on eBay. The fact is you can in some instances, but it doesn't always work that work that way and you can incur seriously losses just as easy as gains.

I've been collecting for well over 18 years and I am sickened by the way slabbing has corrupted the coin market. There are countless lesser known slabbing companies that slab anything with a grade of MS-65 or even MS-70, and the coin doesn't even need to be an UNC. Maybe it takes time to learn to loathe these companies and their ruse among collectors, but I've seen their results from both ends of feast and famine.

I don't intend on getting anything that is common date, GRADED...That is foolish

Buy the coin, pre graded.

Yes, most of my posts are about making cash on ebay, which is a very good thing. If you can get a raw MS66, and get it graded and it comes back a 66, and you paid lets say 64 money for it, after fees you make a nice profit

I'm not in this hobby for the money, coins make me happy, and it is just what I do, if I make cash, to get the coins I want, I'm going to do it

Now back to how you say TPG are a joke

I think getting common dated anything slabbed, is stupid, unless it is a very high grade, I have common dated slabbed morgans, they are pre slabbed, and that works for me, I really don't pay that much of a premium, versus their total value

Now, yes, companies like ABC and XYZ grading are corrupt self slabbers, a way to make money

But don't give a bad name to PCGS, and NGC... I would trust those companies to grade my coins, you can't say that they are 100%, but you can say the ARE THE MOST ACCURATE grading companies out there.

Edit: MS I removed a section and would like to say something on the last part.

But don't give a bad name to PCGS, and NGC... I would trust those companies to grade my coins, you can't say that they are 100%, but you can say the ARE THE MOST ACCURATE grading companies out there.

On the whole they do a better job then others but accurate to what standards? Grading standards show changes through the years even from them. How many times have you heard of people looking for pcgs rattlers or ngc fatties? That is probably a dynamic of management changing graders changing etc. Even stuff like what day is it or how much of a backlog do they have would effect it. During different years ANACs and PCI graded coins that had a real chance of crossing at grade.

Or people breaking coins out and resubmitting them to the same company to get higher grades. Even price guides like Blue sheet and grey sheet show weaknesses in the system. When you get different prices for graded sight unseen and graded seen coins that is a nature of the beast deal. You can have a ms63 what looks bad and a ms63 that looks great from the same company. Grade may not tell you that. Technically they both may be the grade but one is lifeless and the other beautiful. Consistency across price range seems to show up also. I have seen some stuff slabbed which I don't think would slab if it was not a high dollar coin. The acceptance of cac may be viewed as a indicator of consistency also. There has been even discussion of this company does better on this coin type the the other.

Don't get me wrong I do think they do a fair job at it. I doubt if any grading company could be considered truly and consistently accurate with the time allowed per coin and the nature of grading. I have always wondered how many coins per day a grader is expected to do?

I think what Mark wrote above explains this portion well.

To me slabbing is a joke, a business of making money over opinions, and a waste of our money. I buy coins slabbed if the price is right, but I'll never pay more for a slabbed coin, I'll grade the coin myself and ignore the label grade, and I don't slab my own coins. I'm not giving them a bad name specifically, I just think they are all a huge waste of money and are giving false impressions of value to our coins while taking hard earned cash from our collections for their opinion of a grade.

Can we just start a new thread and make it for ALL Morgans? I think this is a great idea for a thread but it shouldn't be limited to slabs.

There are a few really tough coins in the set if you include proofs most of those are killers. And not just the 1893 s in business strikes. The 1889 cc is one, the other 1894. A year set would be fairly easy to do, with some if not all mints thrown in. Maybe doing one year per week allowing folks to post what they have or something along those lines might work.

Seeing T's post in the virtual museum (Did not think of it until I saw his.) how about this I'll start a thread there in the dollars section and We will do 1878's for a day or two maybe three. See what we can come up with. Then move on. I'll go ahead and start the thread. Post your coins and any other information on them such as vams etc.

Just hit the morgan collection fast today. I will be moving it to 1879 tonite.

BTW Anybody who has a 1878 Morgan dollar they would like to post see here for the post. Last chance to post them today. We will be moving tonite to 1879 morgan so wait until the change later tonite to post them if you want. Any or all morgans are welcome but please wait until until we make to that year to post it.

• 10 months later...

Archived