CoinPeople.com

1982P LCM Large date Zinc Variety - New type of DDO?

Hello again!

Here's one that has blisters and slightly burnt raised images. However, the tripling(is it?)

still well-defined and visible to naked eye. All the other Obverse and Reverse elements have spreads and separtions.

Is this genuine DD?

Thanks again!

3NVTEs

1982P_Large_Date_Zn_DDO_1A.JPG

Hello again!

Here's one that has blisters and slightly burnt raised images. However, the tripling(is it?)

still well-defined and visible to naked eye. All the other Obverse and Reverse elements have spreads and separtions.

Is this genuine DD?

Thanks again!

3NVTEs

Agreeing with the Steven's statement in that this appears to be machine doubling, hub doubling or die chatter, all of which are called machine doubling. The 2nd or doubled partial design is flat and not of the same height as the other full image design. The bottom layer is most likely, as previously stated, surface metal movement. A true DD will have 2 complete sets of the same design and be approximately of the same height, whereas the MD will be flat as it appears in your pics. My humble opinion for your coin.

The descriptions given above are for those who may not know the differences between DD (double die) and MD (machine doubling) on coins, medals, etc & not to offend anyone's intelligence.

A really good book with excellent pictures is "The Error Coin Encyclopedia" by Arnold Margolis. I have no affiliation with any references I suggest.

John

Agreeing with the Steven's statement in that this appears to be machine doubling, hub doubling or die chatter, all of which are called machine doubling. The 2nd or doubled partial design is flat and not of the same height as the other full image design. The bottom layer is most likely, as previously stated, surface metal movement. A true DD will have 2 complete sets of the same design and be approximately of the same height, whereas the MD will be flat as it appears in your pics. My humble opinion for your coin.

The descriptions given above are for those who may not know the differences between DD (double die) and MD (machine doubling) on coins, medals, etc & not to offend anyone's intelligence.

A really good book with excellent pictures is "The Error Coin Encyclopedia" by Arnold Margolis. I have no affiliation with any references I suggest.

John

Thank you both Steven and John. Your inputs further enhance our error inspection knowledge.

3NVTEs

Archived