CoinPeople.com

2008P LCM Doubled Ear

Although I am no expert, this looks to be machine doubling. The rounded looking "extra" parts of the date are usually indicators of that. However, the mark below the ear is rather interesting, I cannot say for sure what may have caused that.

BTW, welcome to CP.

Although I am no expert, this looks to be machine doubling. The rounded looking "extra" parts of the date are usually indicators of that. However, the mark below the ear is rather interesting, I cannot say for sure what may have caused that.

BTW, welcome to CP.

Thanks! This looks similar to the 2006 LCM Doubled Ear variety though it is closer in proximity to the

primary image. Please note the doublings(extra) of the beard realtive to the suspected 2ndary ear lobe.

Thanks gain.

3NVTEs

You seem like pretty advanced error collectors. Have you searched coppercoins.com to see if this variety has been found and attributed yet?

Thanks! Just found this the other day. Since we are still novices, attribution process is still very new to us.

This is not attributed yet, but we plan to, to confirm if genuine or not.

None is listed for either of these 2008P and 2008D LCM Doubled Ear posts.

Thanks again,

3NVTEs

Thanks! This looks similar to the 2006 LCM Doubled Ear variety though it is closer in proximity to the

primary image. Please note the doublings(extra) of the beard realtive to the suspected 2ndary ear lobe.

Thanks gain.

3NVTEs

3NVTEs

You may want to send this one to a Lincoln Cent Die Variety Attributor. Not that I think it is a doubled ear but that you seem to feel that it is. The anomaly is in the approximate location as doubled ear cents have been found. Could be several things going on, an accual doubled die, bubbled plating, damage etc. It probably would take a hands on look by an expert for a determination of what it is. Very hard to attribute by photos on many die varieties. Good luck and I hope that it is a doubled die. Please post any attribution results, as a Lincoln Cent Collector I am very interested in the outcome.

Just another opinion.

Steven

BTW, welcome to CP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with the Vfox in that this is MD but not for the same reasoning and yes, the thing by the ear merits further research. In reading and viewing pictures in the aforementioned Encyclopedia your coin lacks two complete designs of approximately of the same height. Are there little raised ridges along the edge between the higher design features and the lower or doubled design features? There appear to be some here and there. This is a dead give away of machine doubling.

John

3NVTEs

You may want to send this one to a Lincoln Cent Die Variety Attributor. Not that I think it is a doubled ear but that you seem to feel that it is. The anomaly is in the approximate location as doubled ear cents have been found. Could be several things going on, an accual doubled die, bubbled plating, damage etc. It probably would take a hands on look by an expert for a determination of what it is. Very hard to attribute by photos on many die varieties. Good luck and I hope that it is a doubled die. Please post any attribution results, as a Lincoln Cent Collector I am very interested in the outcome.

Just another opinion.

Steven

W

Thanks Steven. Will do. Will follow this up with posting of similar suspected doubled ear of both types we previously posted.

3NVTEs

Archived