CoinPeople.com

Post your Roosevelt Dimes

thedeadpoint

Just added some Roosevelts to my Registry Sets.

997928.jpg

997927.jpg

997926.jpg

They're on omnicoin. Take a look. (I'll post the other pics tomorrow when I have a bit more time.)

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have 3 or 4 Roosevelts picked out for my December collection addition. After that I get into the more expensive proofs. When the proofs are completed I'll start working on the MS Roosevelt Sets. My plan for 2012 is to alternate months. One month Roosevelts the next Jeffersons, back to Roosevelts and so on.

Nice coins and pics Mark. I love the way good photographs of UC Proofs provide such wonderful contrast between the fields and devices.

I need to work on my lighting as in new bulbs. Thinking about trying an led bulb. The last group of shots weren't very good. Right now unless I get the lamps almost in the way of shooting they don't turn out well.

I had some "Reveal" bulbs that were pretty good for photography in that they were close to daylight temps. Never found them to be much different than the others I used in that all still need some white balance adjustment. Of course with film you could do filtering but man that's quite a hassle.

No pics, but I sifted through 9,000 dimes again. Why I do this, I do not know. I ended up with really dirty hands, two hours of sifting and up ending to check the sides and turned up six silver dimes. I was hoping against hope that I would find more silver than the last $900 I searched a couple of weeks ago. Seriously I have much better luck finding silver in nickels. I searched $1200 worth last week and found an 1894, see other post but 13 silver war nickels. I don't think I will be searching dimes too much, might do right after Christmas is over to see if people cash in their silver by spending it.

No pics, but I sifted through 9,000 dimes again. Why I do this, I do not know. I ended up with really dirty hands, two hours of sifting and up ending to check the sides and turned up six silver dimes. I was hoping against hope that I would find more silver than the last $900 I searched a couple of weeks ago. Seriously I have much better luck finding silver in nickels. I searched $1200 worth last week and found an 1894, see other post but 13 silver war nickels. I don't think I will be searching dimes too much, might do right after Christmas is over to see if people cash in their silver by spending it.

I have never had any luck in searching dimes or quarters. Not a single silver hit. Halfs are good to me. Nickels never produced much -- I do intent to try them again. Maybe I'll get a bunch tomorrow.

I have never had any luck in searching dimes or quarters. Not a single silver hit. Halfs are good to me. Nickels never produced much -- I do intent to try them again. Maybe I'll get a bunch tomorrow.

Halves are good when I find stuff that has been lying around for awhile. But lots of people check them so there are many many picked over rolls that are unmarked. Quarters I don't bother with.

I will probably do the dimes just seasonally, now is a better time with Christmas. For the most part I will stick to nickels, I do find silver enough to make it sustainable. The Buffalos, the occasional Liberties etc are a bonus. I started doing the dimes after I found a silver dime in the change while doing the book faire at my daughter's school. I have found a total of 15 of them doing dime searches. But it seems like more of a pain because they are smaller coins and the finds usually do not stick out like sore thumbs like the others. One of the dimes yesterday I could tell by the colour that it was silver, but the rest of them I had to check the edges.

So in summary, I do not think I will be able to complete my silver Roosevelt dime Whitman folder from circulation. Just not enough finds.

I need to work on my lighting as in new bulbs. Thinking about trying an led bulb. The last group of shots weren't very good. Right now unless I get the lamps almost in the way of shooting they don't turn out well.

Use Reveal Florescent bulbs. They work the best.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm only 8 coins from completing my PCGS Registry Set for Proof Roosevelt Dimes. It used to be possible to have the entire set re-slabbed with a custom label - not sure if you can still do that. It's probably too expensive anyway. Does anyone know the story on this?

I notice some are NGC and others PCGS... I've not looked into registries but I'd be surprised if you don't have to get them all into the same company's holders.

PCGS Registry requires only PCGS certified coins. NGC Registry accepts either PCGS or NGC or NCS coins. The main set that I'm close to completion on is all PCGS coins. I have an NGC set that is only NGC coins but that has a much longer way to go.

I guess I am a bit confused, then... post 188 shows a Roosevelt dime proof in an NGC holder. Have you got the same date in a PCGS holder already? Or is this not your main set?

I thought about putting my typeset in a registry (it's _mostly_ PCGS and I knew it would involve getting the NGCs (and the one ANACS) regraded) but there is no registry that's 1800-1964 typesets, not including gold. There's a 19th century one, which would seem to be something I could participate in, but IIRC it includes includes gold. (Unfortunately two of my Barbers are dated 1901 and my "With Cents" Liberty Head/"V" nickel is a 1911--I really wouldn't want to buy others just to get dates pre-1900. And do they correctly consider 1900 part of the 19th century?) The alternative is a full 1792-present (or was it 2000?) typeset that excludes gold, and I haven't the budget for pre-1800 or any interest at all in clad coinage.

I guess I am a bit confused, then... post 188 shows a Roosevelt dime proof in an NGC holder. Have you got the same date in a PCGS holder already? Or is this not your main set?

<<snip>>

I do in fact have that coin in both a PCGS holder and an NGC holder. I plan to eventually have a full Roosevelt Set in PCGS and another full set in NGC -- same for Jeffersons.

<<snip>>I thought about putting my typeset in a registry (it's _mostly_ PCGS and I knew it would involve getting the NGCs (and the one ANACS) regraded) but there is no registry that's 1800-1964 typesets, not including gold. There's a 19th century one, which would seem to be something I could participate in, but IIRC it includes includes gold. (Unfortunately two of my Barbers are dated 1901 and my "With Cents" Liberty Head/"V" nickel is a 1911--I really wouldn't want to buy others just to get dates pre-1900. And do they correctly consider 1900 part of the 19th century?) The alternative is a full 1792-present (or was it 2000?) typeset that excludes gold, and I haven't the budget for pre-1800 or any interest at all in clad coinage.

The closest I can find to your needs and one that would allow you to start your set without regard to coins being either PCGS or NGC is the NGC Registry "19th Century Series Type Set, Non-Proofs Only - No Gold". It does not include 1900 as part of the 19th Century. But it does not require proof coins or gold coins to complete the set.

Another interesting type set is the 7070 No Gold set. It's the equivalent of the Dansco 7070 album. It's a nice fun set to play with.

Whatever you decide, I hope that you have fun with it. I don't do the Registry Set thing to be competitive, it's just a nice way to track what I'm collecting and give me easily documented targets.

Well it does look like the NGC one would come closer to what I am doing--I'd be leaving large parts of the 7070 blank, even aside from the gold that they aren't including, and other parts don't show all the subtypes that I am recognizing (e.g., arrows at date for the seated liberty).

In any case I must not have looked at the NGC page, or I'd surely not have made the complaint that I did. Thanks.

The NGC set doesn't recognize quite as many types as I do, but it's more comprehensive than the 7070 by far. Of course I am still screwed on the two barbers and the V nickel because they are of the correct type but the wrong century. Plus, I'd have to slab up my large coppers. Anyhow, if I ever get to the point where the 19th century part of the set is more full than holes, I might give it a shot.

Been updating photos this past week or so. So I've added a bunch to my Registry Sets and also on omnicoin. You might want to take a peek if you're a Roosevelt (or Jefferson or Indian Head Cent or Large Cent fanatic).

1962D Roosevelt Dime MS64FB PCGS

1000019.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Getting close to a complete set of Roosevelts certified by PCGS. Added this one today.

6798918385_2a720e4a24_z.jpg

1956 10C PR66 obv by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr

6798921531_991cbc8d39_z.jpg

1956 10C PR66 rev by UGotaHaveArt, on Flickr