CoinPeople.com

Post your Roosevelt Dimes

thedeadpoint

I like that one too. Great coin wish I had it in my collection. I'm mostly gathering PR69DCAMs in the later issues. Earlier I sort of go with what's out there when I want to buy.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Art

I just got lucky with this one, and won it for ten dollars.

That being said, I think you have a very good start on your collection.

Your silver Rosie's are amazing.

The rest of my collection are all 69's It is not very big maybe 50 slabs so fare,

but I have had to put a slowdown on them.

Alan

1996 Mint Sets are the only source for the W dime. They're still pretty reasonable - around $15.00. Maybe I'll put one away for each of my grandkids before the collecting community gets hyper on this.

Hi Art

That is just what I have done for my Grandchildren.

I was able to get three 1966 and two 1967.

The 67's was about ten dollars each, but if you can believe it I got the three,

1966 for $3.88 each.

They are very easy to come buy, and you are correct, get them know before

that 40% Half Dollar get to high.

Alan

• 2 months later...

She's a beaut! Did you buy her slabbed?

Yes. If you're willing to go with PR69DCAM you can get the slabbed coin for less than the slabbing fee alone would be. Of course, if you submit your own and get a PR70DCAM that's a totally different story.

What's the price differential b/t a 69 and 70?

Common or current year - non silver PF69DCAM runs around 11-13 dollars. A few as high as 18 dollars.

Same coin but PF70DCAM will run around $100-140 dollars. Silver figure about 25% more.

Common or current year - non silver PF69DCAM runs around 11-13 dollars. A few as high as 18 dollars.

Same coin but PF70DCAM will run around $100-140 dollars. Silver figure about 25% more.

Thats proof coins. MS coins in 69 or 70 can be much much higher priced, especially those not from mint sets and all 70s.

Wowww!!! I can't believe folks find circulation coins that reach MS70!

Very very rare. Before the switch to satin finish in the Mint Sets they were the source of many higher grade circulation strikes. BUT some collectors hold that satin is a distinctly different coin, just as proof vs. circulation. I haven't checked the pop reports but I doubt there are any recent circulation Roosevelts in MS70 condition. In fact I doubt there are many in MS69.

Very very rare. Before the switch to satin finish in the Mint Sets they were the source of many higher grade circulation strikes. BUT some collectors hold that satin is a distinctly different coin, just as proof vs. circulation. I haven't checked the pop reports but I doubt there are any recent circulation Roosevelts in MS70 condition. In fact I doubt there are many in MS69.

This is from an ebay seller. I think he is probably correct, although I've never really researched it.

MS70 Roosevelt Dime

Buyers this is just for your information. As far as I know PCGS and NGC have never slabbed a "Circulation Strike" mercury dime or roosevelt dime in the grade of MS70. If the foremost two TPG's have not done this in the last 18 or 19 years then how are all of the suppose to be MS70's showing up on Ebay in 3rd rate slabs. A word to the wise. Save your hard earned cash and do not believe some of the outlandish grades you will see on 3rd tier slabs. Buy only these 3rd tier slabs at a DEEP discount or ignore them completly.

Guide ID: 10000000002838543Guide created: 02/02/07 (updated 07/03/11)

amazing. is it an obsession with perfection? or being the best? or over-weighting the importance of a number?

I think a lot of that is driven by the set registry process. Some folks get fairly competitive about having a top ranked set. Only way to do that is go for perfection. Sets of PR69DCAM modern coins are fairly common.

For example, this set is 100% complete and 100% PR69DCAM. It's not a hard set to complete, just purchase the new coins every year. Not a biggie. Easy to find and fairly reasonable in price. But the set is ranked 136th. at NGC.

sig.jpg

On PCGS there are 47 sets with perfect scores. I don't know how many on NGC.

Just checked NGC there are 78 perfect sets on that site

Jeez... must be frustrating to have a perfect set and still be tied with 100 others..

That only exists for coin series that began after the start of Registry Sets. If you look at Washington Quarters or Jeffersons or Roosevelts and anything earlier -- no such problem. Proof Set Registry Sets have the same kind of problem but I think most folks who go after or bother to enter those sets do it just for recording and fun purposes. For example I have a 1990 Proof Set Registered. It's a birth year set I've been putting together for Rocky. I keep it on the registry because it makes tracking it easy and it's fun to watch it come together that way.

My concern with Roosevelts is the silver content. As the price keeps moving up the common pre-65 and post 91 silver issues will start to hit the melting pot. I think this has already started to have an effect on Washington quarters and certainly on Kennedy half dollars.

Haven't seen it with US, but some modern Canadian silver proofs are hitting the pot, indeed.

Haven't seen it with US, but some modern Canadian silver proofs are hitting the pot, indeed.

It is having an effect here as well. Not so much now that silver has fallen a bit. I can still remember the devastating effect on common silver of the big Hunt run up back in 80 or so. WOW! Prices jumped. Supplies dried up. Return to pre-Hunt days never happened.

Back on 26August2010 my PCGS Roosevelt Dimes Proof Set was ranked 42 and I have 41 or the 80 coins needed.

Today it's ranked 44th and I have 54 of the 80 coins needed. In January they'll add the requirement for the 2012 coins so I'll have 54 of 82 at that time.

An update: Just ordered a 97-S Silver PR69DCAM, it was $19.00 plus shipping. The PR70DCAM was $465.00 plus shipping.