CoinPeople.com

Unknown Japanese Coin

Vfox

Hi everyone. Once again the far East has stumped me. I can't find this in any of my guides, I figure it is a one mon from Japan because of the single sided design, but I can't find any information on it. Any help would be appreciated.

2hocppw.jpg

2s6q9lu.jpg

I also can't find a date range for this second one, which I have been able to identify only by type, any more information on that would be great as well.

1zqzn0g.jpg

6id215.jpg

Thanks!

Also, anyone ever see this token design? I think it's some kind of made up fantasy design, but who knows. Regardless, it's certainly a new strike.

10qx8b7.jpg

29c1but.jpg

Hi! Have you tried the "Chinese Cash Price Guide" by David Jen?

I have one of the 2nd coin displayed. I haven't ID'ed it yet, but have seen it in passing in one of my catalogs when I wasn't looking for it. I'll try and find it here one of these days soon. I do not have the above named price guide, just a few pages on which your coin does not appear. I believe it may be Chinese because I have seen unifaced Chinese coins in a catalog (Hummmm, which one?). In fact, have 4 in front of me from W. Han Dy. 206BC - 7AD worth about $20-$30 @. Your coin in question is a very interesting one.

Hi! Have you tried the "Chinese Cash Price Guide" by David Jen?

I have one of the 2nd coin displayed. I haven't ID'ed it yet, but have seen it in passing in one of my catalogs when I wasn't looking for it. I'll try and find it here one of these days soon. I do not have the above named price guide, just a few pages on which your coin does not appear. I believe it may be Chinese because I have seen unifaced Chinese coins in a catalog (Hummmm, which one?). In fact, have 4 in front of me from W. Han Dy. 206BC - 7AD worth about $20-$30 @. Your coin in question is a very interesting one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am still working on the 1st coin, but the 2nd one is Japan, 4 MON, C# 4.2 dates from the mid 1700's to the mid 1800's, and in this condition is worth about $0.50. Mine is the C# 4.1 version of yours and is only worth about a buck.

The first one is Annam (Vietnam), 1 phan, ruler Minh Mang (1820-41).

You are absolutely right Sturzny, thank you very much!

Omnicoin will be updated shortly. :ninja:

And Mudhut, I've double checked the second coin for both our sakes.

It is a Japanese 4 mon sen, brass/bronze, 1769-1860 of the 11 wave variety.

yea i have one of those restriked from jorvik :ninja:

as for those others, i look here

http://www.sportstune.com/chinese/coins/idpage.html

gives a look at designs from each reign, also covers japanese

Great site Scott, thank you.

Also thanks for the token ID Matt, that was also very helpful. I wonder how it made its way to the token bin of my local coin dealer? Around here people normally only go to Italy, France, or Mexico lol.

You are absolutely right Sturzny, thank you very much!

Omnicoin will be updated shortly. :ninja:

And Mudhut, I've double checked the second coin for both our sakes.

It is a Japanese 4 mon sen, brass/bronze, 1769-1860 of the 11 wave variety.

Isn't that what I said? But I do get your point.....give better detail so coinpeople don't have to go and look up KM # or C# so-and-so. SOooooooo check out my new post for Ciief0726: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=23416&hl=

Oh, your welcome.

Isn't that what I said? But I do get your point.....give better detail so coinpeople don't have to go and look up KM # or C# so-and-so. SOooooooo check out my new post for Ciief0726: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=23416&hl=

Oh, your welcome.

Indeed, that post was much more thorough. I have no problem with anyone spouting KM numbers on here, but not everyone has those guides at their fingertips like you or I. By all means, include the KM listing when helping to identify coins, just remember the audience; we are a community from extreme novice to professional numismatists. :ninja:

Indeed, that post was much more thorough. I have no problem with anyone spouting KM numbers on here, but not everyone has those guides at their fingertips like you or I. By all means, include the KM listing when helping to identify coins, just remember the audience; we are a community from extreme novice to professional numismatists. :ninja:

http://www.coinpeople.com/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Archived