CoinPeople.com

Roosevelt Dimes Registry Set - NGC

Art

Art's NGC Registry Set - Roosevelt Dimes

Ok, so Roosevelt dimes are a truly overlooked series. I think that because of the size of the coin and general lack of excitement over the design not too many collectors bother with them. I was messing around with my NGC Type Set today and decided to look at the contents of a Roosevelt Dime set 1946-Date. I saved the set description and told them to import my registered coins. As you can see they only picked up one of my Roosevelts, I have about 10. With a single coin in the set - a 1975-D MS67, a very nice coin but nothing spectacular - my single coin set is ranked #99.

Come on folks. The Roosevelt dime has fame and history that goes beyond coin collecting. Famous President commemorated on the lowly dime. March of Dimes. "Hey brother can you spare a dime".

I think that every CoinPerson should immediately start a Roosevelt Dime set. Get the ones from your pocket change to start. Heck even the silver coins can be had cheaply.

A year or two ago, I snagged some great roosies off of Heritage. Silver proofs in the 68-69 range. I wonder what my set would grade if I only posted them up there. Is the NGC site free?

A year or two ago, I snagged some great roosies off of Heritage. Silver proofs in the 68-69 range. I wonder what my set would grade if I only posted them up there. Is the NGC site free?

You can get a free membership and do competitive sets and signature sets but you don't get access to some of the biggie features. Give it a try, it's fun.

As noted though, those Roosevelt Dimes are just nothing spectacular. At a recent coin show a dealer had a Dansco Album on his table of Roosevelt Dimes complete from 46 to present. All appeared to be MS something or other. I didn't inspect them to carefully but a friend of mine did. He was more dissapointed than I was about the price. The dealer said $300 for the entire book. He said just not much interest in those coins. That friend of mine has several sets and all MS something or other. To see such a set in such a low price range was irritating to say the least.

This is sort of the same with Jefferson Nickels. At coin shows I've seen complete sets of those for not much more that $400 or $500 in all MS grades.

Not sure why but those two coins just don't click with the general public.

I added a Registry set for my Roosevelt Proof dimes -- I actually have some of them. It's pretty neat. Take a look when you get a chance.

I've got a full set of silver Roosevelt dimes but never seriously considered putting them in the NGC Registry.

All the business strikes are MS-66.

All the proofs are MS-67.

I wanted a matched set, so that's why.

My NGC Registry sets are:

- Type set (copper & silver) to 1964

- Type set (gold) not modern

- War nickels (currently being upgraded to MS-67)

? why not?

I asked NGC the same thing and they told me it was just their policy.

I've had the same hotmail account for the past 12 years, but that doesn't mean anything to them. So I can only read their boards and not post.

I like Roosies, I bought a whole set of BU dimes, including all the proofs and even the SMS and odd ones like both types of proofs from 1979/81 for about $300 maybe 10 years ago. And I just keep filling those dansco holes faithfully each year. Those danscos make some nice toning, but it seems concentrated on the outside pages. I just looked and my SMS and 81-S type 2 are in the back page and that 81 proof is developing the most beautiful blue and purlple toning!

Attached is a photo that does not do it justice!

I motion that we create a thread in the Coin Forum for Roosevelt Dimes - everyone can post their best looking Roosies. Maybe we should do this in PCI format. Any thoughts?

yes... we already have a Roosevelt thread in the museum, but I think a thread in this forum would be fun!

Its the only US date set I have left in my collection and it does have holes that I hadn't filled to my satisfaction. I was building the set for my son before his birth in 1979. I was looking for coins with full bands and detail. It is in a Capital Plastics holder. I'll have to drag it out one of these days and see how it compares to others displayed here.

I like Roosies, I bought a whole set of BU dimes, including all the proofs and even the SMS and odd ones like both types of proofs from 1979/81 for about $300 maybe 10 years ago. And I just keep filling those dansco holes faithfully each year. Those danscos make some nice toning, but it seems concentrated on the outside pages. I just looked and my SMS and 81-S type 2 are in the back page and that 81 proof is developing the most beautiful blue and purlple toning!

Attached is a photo that does not do it justice!

Probably once a year you should reorder the pages so the inside coins get some color. I only have a few coins in my Danscos that are taking on any noticeable color and their placement is random. Most affected seem to be my Jeffersons and that's the only album I have that's in one of those corrosion resistent slipcases.

That is very pleasing toning.

I motion that we create a thread in the Coin Forum for Roosevelt Dimes - everyone can post their best looking Roosies. Maybe we should do this in PCI format. Any thoughts?

yes... we already have a Roosevelt thread in the museum, but I think a thread in this forum would be fun!

Sounds like a good idea. I don't photograph my coins so the shots that I do have are from the auctions on ebay or a few from Teletrade. But I'll post them.

Sounds like a good idea. I don't photograph my coins so the shots that I do have are from the auctions on ebay or a few from Teletrade. But I'll post them.

Great! I think we could find a few collectors with exciting images of these dimes! It would be nice to honor an overlooked series.

Saw your new thread and posted a few photos. The thread is a good idea. Maybe we can get some folks interested in starting a set. I have photos of most of the Roosevelts that I have that are NGC but they're not very good. Maybe I'll have to shoot some myself.

Don't have any photos of my Dansco dimes, but they're a pretty nice set. Most post64 are directly from proof and mint sets. The pre64 are almost all circulated but nice coins.

Archived