CoinPeople.com

1913 EB ruble

sturzny

I live out in the sticks and we don't often get much interesting foreign stuff in our local club, so I was rather surprised when this turned up in this month's auction.

img188.jpgimg189.jpg

Do you think it is real?

Maybe it's just the pictures, but to me there seems to be a fair bit of wear on the high points - possibly struck from a die prepared from a circulated genuine coin?

1913 regular issue (non-commemorative) roubles have been counterfeited in China. I'm not saying that this one is bad (because it might well be genuine), but I'd be careful and do my homework before bidding generously on it.

Do you think it is real?

Maybe it's just the pictures, but to me there seems to be a fair bit of wear on the high points - possibly struck from a die prepared from a circulated genuine coin?

1913 regular issue (non-commemorative) roubles have been counterfeited in China. I'm not saying that this one is bad (because it might well be genuine), but I'd be careful and do my homework before bidding generously on it.

I was well aware of the possibility of a fake, but I bid and won it anyway. I did not have to pay much for it, and I know the person who sold it so I have no worry about getting my money back if it does turn out to be fake. That being said, with the coin in hand I don't see anything obviously fake about it. The wear looks genuine enough, not lustrous as it would be if fresh struck off a transfer die.

I was well aware of the possibility of a fake, but I bid and won it anyway. I did not have to pay much for it, and I know the person who sold it so I have no worry about getting my money back if it does turn out to be fake. That being said, with the coin in hand I don't see anything obviously fake about it. The wear looks genuine enough, not lustrous as it would be if fresh struck off a transfer die.

Okay, good pickup! :ninja:

I live out in the sticks and we don't often get much interesting foreign stuff in our local club, so I was rather surprised when this turned up in this month's auction.

looks genuine to me by pics; was it before or over a thousand ? :ninja:

looks genuine to me by pics; was it before or over a thousand ? :ninja:

You have to understand that this is an auction where almost no one cares about anything other than U.S. coins. There was only one other interested bidder and he dropped out at $150. A 1913 EB in somewhat better grade than this one sold for about $800 (net with buyer's premium and euro-to-$ conversion) in the latest Gorny & Mosch auction. I think a fair price for this one is in the $300-400 range.

You have to understand that this is an auction where almost no one cares about anything other than U.S. coins. There was only one other interested bidder and he dropped out at $150. A 1913 EB in somewhat better grade than this one sold for about $800 (net with buyer's premium and euro-to-$ conversion) in the latest Gorny & Mosch auction. I think a fair price for this one is in the $300-400 range.

so then for saved dollars you can buy another piece :ninja:

Archived