CoinPeople.com

1892 Columbian Fair Eglit

I cannot help you with regards to its identification but I will say that it is a superb design with some rather impressive toning! Thanks for posting the photos.

I cannot help you with regards to its identification but I will say that it is a superb design with some rather impressive toning! Thanks for posting the photos.

The profile of Columbus from behind is unusual. I can't recall seeing that style used before.

It was obviously issued for the 400th anniversary of the "discovery" (by Europeans - others had already discovered and populated it by then) of America in 1492.

I wonder what the allegory on the reverse (crowned woman and globe) means. I think the globe might represent either the Old or, more likely, the New World.

The profile of Columbus from behind is unusual. I can't recall seeing that style used before.

I wonder what the allegory on the reverse (crowned woman and globe) means. I think the globe might represent either the Old or, more likely, the New World.

Perhaps from behind as he is going for his colonoscopy!

On a more serious note, the lady could be Queen Isabella etc.

I thought that it represented Lady Liberty?

She is wearing a royal crown with a cross and appears to be pointing the way for the ship to the Orient by a westerly route ( by accident Columbus 'discovered America').

Lady Liberty appears much later and does not wear a royal crown but has a radiant crown with sun rays. The idea of a royal crown on Liberty....... :ninja:

That is why I picked Isabella, but I could very well be wrong.

LINK to EBAY

She is wearing a royal crown with a cross and appears to be pointing the way for the ship to the Orient by a westerly route ( by accident Columbus 'discovered America').

Lady Liberty appears much later and does not wear a royal crown but has a radiant crown with sun rays. The idea of a royal crown on Liberty....... ;)

That is why I picked Isabella, but I could very well be wrong.

LINK to EBAY

I do apologize.................no royal crown on a Miss Liberty :ninja:

Thanks for the link also,

Am I right in believing that mine is E224?

It measures +-1" dia. or about the size of a half dollar?

What guestimate of value would you say?

Sorry I cannot help with either of those questions. I do not normally collect US medals, just ones with a UK connection. I do like your medal and if my pockets were deeper would collect those and a lot of others too. Hope someone else can supply the info you need.

Eglit 224 is correct. I'll skip the interpretation of the lady on the reverse, but it is a L. Christian lauer product.

Archived