CoinPeople.com

New coin fake or real?

beester30

Looks real, but we have a hammered expert on here that will give a better guess than I could.

Do you have the size and weight in grams and millimeters? (nobody seems to use anything but metric in the coin world, lol)

Also, why do you feel it could be a counterfeit? Did you purchase it for a very low price, or from a "iffy" ebay seller?

Looks genuine to me.

1570 Sixpence, mint mark coronet, intermediate bust with ear showing of the Third Issue.

Looks genuine to me.

1570 Sixpence, mint mark coronet, intermediate bust with ear showing of the Third Issue.

Speak of the devil. How goes it Clive? :ninja:

Looks real, but we have a hammered expert on here that will give a better guess than I could.

Wasn't sure if that referred to myself or not. ;)

Things are not going too bad thanks Vfox. Just picked up some books from eBay HQ in Richmond including a Swedish book all about Anglo-Saxon pennies which was published in 1881. :ninja:

And yourself?

Lizzie Sixpence - not many fakes??

Nowhere near as many Lizzy Sixpence fakes as there are Shillings and there are so many more fakes in the Anglo-Saxon coinage due to Ashmore's influences...

This might be of interest: http://www.coinpeople.com/index.php?showtopic=23232

Wasn't sure if that referred to myself or not. ;)

Things are not going too bad thanks Vfox. Just picked up some books from eBay HQ in Richmond including a Swedish book all about Anglo-Saxon pennies which was published in 1881. :ninja:

And yourself?

I am well, thank you. I love old numismatic material, I'm rather jealous about that purchase!

Although I am no expert, I fancy myself a fairly learned counterfeit detector. When it comes to hammered coinage I certainly must bow out of the lime-light. However, I am profoundly interested in counterfeits because of how they have influenced so much of the economy and law enforcement over the last several thousand years. I love the interplay of the artist, crook, and authorities regarding them. It's one of the more interesting realms of numismatics if you ask me. Not that I condone it of course, but I certainly find the whole situation interesting.

its about 25-26MM, real silver, and i was just inquiring, i got it a a decent price, not to cheap, I was impressed with quality of the portrait and i havent seen any fake sixpence coins around so i was just looking for your opinions as to if this coin looks genuine. Also I have just recently began coin collecting again, so any additonal information on this coin would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help guys....

...so any additonal information on this coin would be greatly appreciated.

Well there is not much more than I can say to be honest... :ninja:

Archived