CoinPeople.com

Silver Rupee Unlisted??? Really, take a look!

mudhut1000

:ninja: Greetings all!

I purchased this coin while in Iran in 1974. I was in an artist's shop in the evening commissioning one of his works on original ancient parchment paper (according to him)....(don't ask about it, my ex has it).. Artist's name is Armand, an Armanina living in Isfahan, when a nicely dressed man walked in and poured out about 200-300 hundred Rupees on a table! I asked Armand if I could purchase onr from him and he picked this one out for me saying that it is very rare. I paid $20US for it. I've searched to my limits, so need the expertise of this great site to let me know where this piece is from, reference number, grade & of course value.

Thanking you in advance,

Mud

Rupee_obv.jpg

Rupee.jpg

Might have known Stephen Album would have something like this.....take a look here.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!

Identification of the coin: AFSHARID: Shahrukh, 2nd reign, 1750-1755, AR(silver) rupi, Mashhad, Iran, AH1168 (1755 AD). . A-2780. . KM-442, Extra Fine.

Thanks again,

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

THANK YOU VERY VERY MUCH!!!!!

Identification of the coin: AFSHARID: Shahrukh, 2nd reign, 1750-1755, AR(silver) rupi, Mashhad, Iran, AH1168 (1755 AD). . A-2780. . KM-442, Extra Fine.

Thanks again,

John

Even though the obverse is not exactly the same?

The reverse I agree "Minted in holy Mashad"

George

Even though the obverse is not exactly the same?

The reverse I agree "Minted in holy Mashad"

George---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOLY COW, man did I jump too soo!! Took the line, hook and sinker. I am going to send Stephen a scan of my coin and see if he can shed some light on the Accurate ID of it. Will post his reply if and when he replies.....I say that because he doesn't know me from Adam.

Thanks for the haeds up George. I GREATLY APPRECIATE THAT!

John

Aye John it would be great to see what he posts. What the heck you might even be right. I'm sure Shahrukh put out more than one type of coin. The little digging I did showed the mint mark reverse more or less the same for soem other Shahrukh coins and similar (yet different!) for Nader Shah. So certainly Afsharid. It was just that the obverse on your coin didn't match the web listed coin.

Regards,

George

PS- how was Iran?

Aye John it would be great to see what he posts. What the heck you might even be right. I'm sure Shahrukh put out more than one type of coin. The little digging I did showed the mint mark reverse more or less the same for soem other Shahrukh coins and similar (yet different!) for Nader Shah. So certainly Afsharid. It was just that the obverse on your coin didn't match the web listed coin.

Regards,

George

PS- how was Iran?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back then, 1974-75, Iran was really nice. Most people were pro American and would ask you to please chat with them in order to improve their English. We, my wife and two very young boys, toured Iran on weekends and time off. We moved freely and unmolested about the country although we, as well as every American, had a "follower". When we were on foot, he was on foot. When we finally bought a vehicle, a 1955 Land Rover, he became a Taxi cab driver, always empty. As we would leave our house, we'd wave to him and give the old wave to come along sign.

Shopping was great! We'd go to the 3,000 year old bazar as often as we could. Fantastic finds, 99% of which my Ex has. This coin is the only one I managed to salvage.

Historic sites abound which were scantly protected or visited! The only place that I didn't get to visit on my list was Mashad. Being "The City of Martyrs" I thought it best to steer clear! Yes, even back then. When we'd visit a remote unwalled village, the first thing the locals would ask is, Amerikii or Ruskii? Just in case, I'd always bound my chest with a closed fist and report, Ruski! It was well known that if they messed with a Russian, retaliation followed; not so with the American government. Note I said "unwalled village"? I found out first hand that walled villages were taboo. The land within the walls is considered sacred and infidels would get biblically stoned there within! Just ask me!! Lucky for me and my ex-marine friend, on his motorcycle (I didn't want to enter the village) the men were taking their daily afternoon siesta, or we'd most likely been killed, as told by a citified Iranian upon return to Isfahan.

I came down with para-typhoid fever and nearly die. Other than that I and my family loved our experience in Iran. I'd go back to visit given the chance, in order to glean some more ancient coins. One-on-one, the people there, in private, are just like you and me. I say in private because on the street, the Sovic or Secret Police, were everywhere. Everywhere I have been in the world it appears to be the same with people. It's politics and religion that gets in the way of "open" socializing and discourse.

John

Thanks for sharing!

Aye I would agree with you. The posturing of governments is usually way way in a different world from what average people think and feel about things.

The world needs more ordinary people from all sides talking to each other (even better if it's about coins) for peace to permeate.

On another note I'll have to dig out what Iranian coins I have, as I've picked up a few over the years, and start taking pictures and posting. Actually come to think of it I need to do this with all of my collection! :ninja:

Well hope you get to visit again and we look forward to seeing your acquisitions when you do.

George

Archived