CoinPeople.com

Found what I think are new errors

Delta

very sloppy, i have never seen so many errors.

those are cuds i believe, i found loads of those, found some major cuds on a couple of 2007 20p's too

i have found amongst the cuds

1, misaligned technology £2 (at one point there is a 1mm gap between central piece and the beading that is supposed to be there)

2. a few weakly struck parts (faded parts of legend and date)

3. a possible die variant to the 2008 20p (the twenty in pence is close to the edge only 1/2 a MM or so but noticable, only seems to be on earlier pieces)

and there is of course

1. the mule 20p

and in the past there are

1983 NEW PENCE 2p (only in sets)

FIVE variants of the 1992 10p

2 variants of 1992 20p (small head and large head, basically transition from 1985-91 and 93-97 heads)

those last 2 might not be errors but still might be

There's two variants of the 2005 and 2006 10p's as well!

Actually whilst we're on the subject of errors, which is not a field I have much knowledge about or dabble in. But I did find a 2p coin with a lot of the copper plating missing on the obverse, it looks slightly like a £2 coin, copper round the edges, steel in the middle. Now whether this is after it left the mint, i dunno.

The 2005 and 2006 10ps come in two varieties.

Type 1 - the '1' in '10' points AT a dot

Type 2 - the '1' in the '10' points BETWEEN dots.

From the 2005s i've examined it appears to be roughly 50/50 between Types 1 and 2. For 2006 nearly every one you find will be Type 2. Out of a few hundred I've examined i've found exactly one Type 1, and it wasn't in the best condition either.

The main thing here is to check the 2005/6 BU sets to see which is in the sets. It may well be that the 2006 Type 1 (the rare one) is in the BU sets which means it's not actually that rare at all. If the Type 2 is in the BU sets then you'd better get looking for the Type 1s!

As for 2007s, i'm still checking them but they appear to all be Type 2s (so far).

1992; the coins start with Type 1 reverses, then move to Type 2 and then go back to Type 1 in time for the rare 'AT/AT' coins.

Reverses for 1993-2004 should all be Type 1 (AT dot)

2005-2006 was a transition period to Type 2 (BETWEEN dots)

2007-2008 should all be Type 2 (BETWEEN)

Okay this is getting even more interesting now;

I've just purchased some BU sets, specifically 1999, 2000 & 2006. Here's what i found out regarding the 10p coins.

Coins found in circulation;

1999 - Not issued

2000 - Type 1 (AT on reverse)

2006 - Type 1 (AT on reverse)

2006 - Type 2 (BETWEEN on reverse)

Coins in BU sets (all BU sets or just mine?)

1999 - Type 2 (BETWEEN on reverse)

2000 - Type 2 (BETWEEN on reverse)

2006 - Type 2 (BETWEEN on reverse)

Comparing the 1999 with a loose UNC 1999 that I bought, they are both (BETWEEN)

If anyone has any other BU sets from 1993-2008, please check to see if they are all the reverse dies are the BETWEEN variety. If so then all the 'AT' reverse coins are in circulation and no where else! Even though the 'AT' types make up the majority of the mintage in any one year (except 2006-8) most are probably non existant in UNC grades now.

If anyone has any other BU sets from 1993-2008, please check to see if they are all the reverse dies are the BETWEEN variety. If so then all the 'AT' reverse coins are in circulation and no where else! Even though the 'AT' types make up the majority of the mintage in any one year (except 2006-8) most are probably non existant in UNC grades now.

Something I'd not noticed until recently when it was pointed out to me was the difference between the 2007 £2 Slave trade coins from the sets when compared to circulation strikes - the differences are very obvious when you look!

Ah i'm glad you said that every year I take a few coins out of circulation (whilst they're still shiny), i've got a few of those 2007 slave trade £2 coin in AU, still with tons of lustre.

What's the main difference? As I don't have a 2007 BU set at hand.

Ah i'm glad you said that every year I take a few coins out of circulation (whilst they're still shiny), i've got a few of those 2007 slave trade £2 coin in AU, still with tons of lustre.

What's the main difference? As I don't have a 2007 BU set at hand.

The cupro-nickel part with the chain and date is plain on the set coins, it's frosted on the circulation coins.

The set coins also have the designers initials 'DG' to the right of '1807' - these are not on the circulation coins.

The coins look very different, quite how it's gone relatively unnoticed for two years I don't know.

nobody has really checked? and if they are in the sets... there isn't a chance to notice... some stuff goes unnoticed for years, i have started a discussion somewhere else when i noticed a differance 1954 farthing rims. so still a few things.

Archived