CoinPeople.com

Are unsearched rolls worth more?

Finn235

On one of my recent trips to the bank, I asked for a Van Buren dollar, and the bank teller gave me a roll, evidently straight from the mint (this is not the kind of roll that can be refilled once open). I'm really tempted to open it up to search for any errors and pick out the best one for my collection, but I don't know if this would be a good idea.

I've noticed many times before that online coin vendors ask for a premium for "Unsearched" rolls. I intend to sell these for more than $25 at some point in time (if not within my lifetime, then for my children/grandchildren etc.) and I am curious, would I damage the overall value of these coins by removing them from the original roll?

usually if ur buyin old (unsearched) rolls there 99.99% searched so i wouldnt waste ur time. if ur worried about keeping your dollars wrapped up i dont think they will be worth too much in the future if u look at there mintage then u would know and theres too many people collecting them so its up to you if u like keep em u can always get more rolls of the dollars in the mint wrappers at thebank or the mint!

dustin

usually if ur buyin old (unsearched) rolls there 99.99% searched so i wouldnt waste ur time. if ur worried about keeping your dollars wrapped up i dont think they will be worth too much in the future if u look at there mintage then u would know and theres too many people collecting them so its up to you if u like keep em u can always get more rolls of the dollars in the mint wrappers at thebank or the mint!

dustin

Possibly not completely true. My guess is about 99.99999999%.

"Unsearched Rolls" is ebayese for "I also have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale" among the coin buzzards on ebay. ;-)

_______________________________________ :ninja: _____________________________________________________

Boy, I can attest to that. I bought an un-searched roll of 1969-S cents on ebay and there wasn't one red cent of a double die error amoung them/. Felt cheated. ROFLMBO !!!

• 2 weeks later...

no 100% of rolls are searched! Think, everybody think

If there was a chance, you'd have a 1909 S VDB penny, or a 1922 NO D, or a 1955 DOUBLE DIE, wouldn't you search through those rolls, night and day, to make sure you don't just give one away

I've been burned too many times, to say even a measly .00000000001% is unsearched

As for your dollars, keep them in the roll....Or spend them...

They are worth, you guessed it, $1! You could sell the roll on ebay, for maybe about $35, then factor in shipping to it, and you'd make maybe $2, so not worth it

Archived