CoinPeople.com

Anyone recognize this coin/medallion?

masfonos

It appears to made of copper, no date or anything. Eagle with a star on it's chest on one side holding six arrows and a branch with what appears to be seven leaves. The other side has the number 10 with lines radiating out of it surrounded by wheat. No date or anything, not sure if it's a coin, some sort of medal, a necklace or what. It's got a bit of crust on the top that may have been a loop for a ribbon or something along those lines, or it may just be corrosion from being buried. I'd say it can't have been in the ground there any less than 30 or so years.

2ufbu6q.jpg

A couple questions which may help those with some actual experience in medallions. Is it made medallion style? (Orientation wise when you flip it over right to left does it stay up right. Or is the back up side down. ) Next any signs of small initials either side or on the edges? Maybe general area or city it was found might help.

A couple questions which may help those with some actual experience in medallions. Is it made medallion style? (Orientation wise when you flip it over right to left does it stay up right. Or is the back up side down. ) Next any signs of small initials either side or on the edges? Maybe general area or city it was found might help.

Yes, both obverse and reverse are oriented such that they are both upright when the extra bit of metal (where I suppose the ribbon/ring/etc loop may have been) is at the top. I don't believe that there are any sort of markings along the edges of it, the only letters/numbers/etc. is the "10" on the [presumably] reverse. It was found where the foundation of an old house was in SE Ohio, USA.

• 3 weeks later...

On the pic it looks like there is an 86 just below the rays under the 10? Supporting the 10th yr commemorative of the US.

The design along the edge is similar to that on the obverse of the standing liberty quarter. I have a gut feeling that this piece is from after the civil war era.

________________________________________________________________________________

I agree with Blackhawk. This piece certainly smacks of US Civil War design

Archived