CoinPeople.com

1921 AT Sov. Russia Rouble

halfdollar

It arrived and has very pretty toning

1921RussiaSovietRoubleMS65.jpg

I am surprized that NGS and PGCS reports have graded none as proof such a common ruble (not rare at all).

I am surprized that NGS and PGCS reports have graded none as proof such a common ruble (not rare at all).

NGC has graded six proof 1921AG roubles:

PF62: 3

PF64: 1

PF66: 1

PF67: 1

and, for comparison, six 1922AG roubles:

PF63: 3

PF64: 1

PF65: 1

PF66: 1 (my avatar)

and five 1922PL roubles:

PF64: 4

PF65: 1

Thank you for showing a report details on 1921/1922 proofs.

There are many proofs on hands of those but ungraded.

I just wanted to respond to the MS condition of that ruble that proofs are existing and it can be a next level for MS owner so it really does not matter if it is MS65 or MS66 (of course MS 66 better), but 1921 proof preferable on Soviet period collection, and of course the 1922 which is rare indeed, and used to be, being now and will be in the future with both mintmasters initials! An as I understood, yours is a top one - proof 67?

Thank you for showing a report details on 1921/1922 proofs.

There are many proofs on hands of those but ungraded.

I just wanted to respond to the MS condition of that ruble that proofs are existing and it can be a next level for MS owner so it really does not matter if it is MS65 or MS66 (of course MS 66 better), but 1921 proof preferable on Soviet period collection, and of course the 1922 which is rare indeed, and used to be, being now and will be in the future with both mintmasters initials! An as I understood, yours is a top one - proof 67?

I have the proof 1922AG NGC PF66 shown as my avatar. It was part of the complete 1922 proof set (AG & PL) owned by the famous violinist, Jasha Heifetz.

There are no PF67 1922 roubles graded by either service. PCGS has graded one 1921AG PF66 (5 proofs graded total) and one 1922PL PF66 (2 proofs graded total). PCGS has not graded ANY 1922AG proofs at this time.

I wish there were some data on the numbers of imperial proof coins minted, but I don't know of any. Robert Julian states that there is nothing published. However, I "think" that Bitkin provides rarity for proof strikes, is that true? I don't own the Bitkin reference. Accepting that most proof strikes are rare compared to most business strikes, the relative rarity that I see associated with different proof dates at auctions seems to be based on the relative business strike rarity, which probably bares no relation to the true relative rarity of proof strikes.

• 4 weeks later...
I have the proof 1922AG NGC PF66 shown as my avatar. It was part of the complete 1922 proof set (AG & PL) owned by the famous violinist, Jasha Heifetz.

There are no PF67 1922 roubles graded by either service. PCGS has graded one 1921AG PF66 (5 proofs graded total) and one 1922PL PF66 (2 proofs graded total). PCGS has not graded ANY 1922AG proofs at this time.

I wish there were some data on the numbers of imperial proof coins minted, but I don't know of any. Robert Julian states that there is nothing published. However, I "think" that Bitkin provides rarity for proof strikes, is that true? I don't own the Bitkin reference. Accepting that most proof strikes are rare compared to most business strikes, the relative rarity that I see associated with different proof dates at auctions seems to be based on the relative business strike rarity, which probably bares no relation to the true relative rarity of proof strikes.

just to let you know that Bitkin does not cover Soviet period; I am looking at Fedorin catalog - no data on rarity proof rubles, only approximate value; but R5 is given to 1922 proof ruble with legend on its edge of last emperor. :ninja:

Archived