CoinPeople.com

1893 Mexico Sphinx Mystery Token

Another of my ANA acquisitions. I picked this on up for the mystery it represents. Paul Cunningham speculated it might be related to the Columbian Exposition, but I'm not sure that it is. If it is something else, does anyone recognize anything about the piece that might give me a clue as to how to learn more about it? The hallmark on the back is the form of Braxmar in New York. They are well known for the manufacture of badges and they continue in business to this day. Anyway, I'm up for almost any idea that might produce a lead.

961542.jpg

At first I thought of fraternal organizations, since some of them appropriate Egyptian motifs. But even the Shriners don't have conventions lasting three weeks! Both the sphinx and the pyramid shape look Egyptian -- not Aztec, Mayan, or Toltec -- to me. I can see why you're skeptical of the claim to a connection with the Columbian Exposition, both for that reason and because the dates precede the Exposition. Gee, thanks, Bill. Now this is going to bug me. :ninja:

Perhaps Aida was playing in Mexico during that 3 week period and that token was produced for for the cast and the orchestra. That would explain the Sphinx & pyramid shape.

EDITED> From Wilkipedia:

During a performance of Aida in South America in 1886, the conducter was booed off the stage. Arturo Toscanini, at the age of 19 and at the time a cellist in the orchestra performing, was persuaded to take up the baton for the performance.

Not a far stretch then to think Aida could have been touring Mexico in 1893.

Archived