CoinPeople.com

1882 Baltimore Oriole Festival

961504.jpg

32mm proof bronze medal from the Baltimore Oriole Festival of 1882. A somewhat similar medal was struck for the 1881 festival along with at least two other varieties (one features a man flying on an oriole). Rulau lists the piece in white metal and the larger piece with the man (elf?) on the bird is also listed in white metal (Hibler & Kappen 592, Rulau Md-Ba-6A). Jaeger's 2008 Guide Book of U.S. Tokens and Medals pictures a bronze example. The Mystic Order of the Orioles was a fraternal organization, although I haven't dug too much deeper as yet. This is another ANA Money Show acquistion. I probably paid too much, but Paul Cunningham threw in the other medals I had selected at no charge, so it probably worked out in the end. I thought the engraving was exceptional and the proof striking in bronze really brought out the best in the design. I especially like how the inscription is off center following the flight of the oriole rather than trying to achieve a N-S, E-W balance. The reverse is the Baltimore Battle Monument that stands in Monument Square.

Balt._Battle_Monument_1a.jpg

I'll buy that orientation. Its still not exactly square, but not as radical as i oriented it.

I still see your point about the inscription, especially where the wing pushes 'celebration' upwards and almost touches the edge of the medal.

Do you get to see Baltimore orioles in California Bill? I am lucky enough to have 4 most years in the summer, I cut an orange in half and spike the halves on a branch plus I put out an oriole feeder for them, but if I am in the garden they cackle like a machine gun, until they get use to me again.

No orioles in California. I had a nice pair of scrub jays nested in my yard the first year I had my house. They got used to me when I fed them peanuts every morning. The eventually would take them out of my hand and peck on the window if I didn't get up soon enough. The more obnoxious Stellar jays moved in the next year and drove them off. Oh well, it was a great year talking to the jays. They would fly down and watch me while I worked in the garden and they would tease the neighbor's cat, always staying just out of reach.

Beautiful medal, the proof strike and relief really stand out.

And I agree with constanius about the orientation. The date should be centered on the bottom.

We have a male and female Cardinal that just seem to like our front lawn and hedge. They come back year after year.

Something about a bird as red as a Ferrari that really appeals to me. :ninja:

• 4 months later...

I bought the medal discussed here at the ANA spring show. On my last day at the ANA summer show, a dealer asked me if I had a particular badge for my California collection. I had one from 1895 and 1896. He could not remember the year that he had, so he dug out a box filled with badges. I found the one he remembered and I already had the piece. In the process, I discovered another white metal example of the Oriole medal with its badge part. What's the chance that I would acquire two examples in back-to-back ANA shows?

3813753616_e7cafd6ff5_b.jpg

Both examples are beautiful but I must admit to lusting after the bronze! (In my heart of course)

The bronze is real nice!

Archived