CoinPeople.com

I lol'd

TreasureGirl

So for my English classes we were working on varying sentence structure, and for an assignment, I made them write a paragraph using specific information I listed for them... and the only specific info I could come up with off the top of my head was random trivia about the Kennedy Half. Here are what some of them wrote with the information I gave. Enjoy!

"It was replaced by the Benjamin Franklin half dollar."

"The coins were very expensive; however, in 1964 they were 90% silver and 1965-1969 it was only 40% silver."

"The Kennedy Half Dollar was the most popular after the president's assassination."

"After he was assassinated he replaced Benjamin Franklin."

"The older Kennedy Dollars are worth more, so you don't want the newer ones."

"The making of the coin stopped, but was released again after his assassination; however, Benjamin Franklin's face was removed."

"Once released Benjamin Franklin was replaced on the half dollar due to the president's assassination."

"In 1977 the half dollar was reversed back to its original design, Benjamin Franklin."

"If you find a half dollar made before 1964 it will have Benjamin Franklin on it."

"What do you think about the Obama half dollars?" one kid asked me at the end of his paragraph.

"The Kennedy half dollar is made of a copper and nickel mix; consequently, it isn't worth much money."

"When the president was assassinated, popular demand caused the release of the coin."

"Even though in 1964 it was 90% silver it wasn't worth very much so nobody hardly used it..."

"The Kennedy half dollar was issued in 1964, an awesome idea... This awesome quarter was 90% silver... Then, in 1971, the Kennedy half dollar was a copper and nickel mix, that was a dumb idea. I love the Kennedy half dollar."

"When the Kennedy half dollar was issued in 1964, it was only really used for collecting purposes - not pocket change... Everyone likes the Kennedy half dollar, so it replaced the Benjamin Franklin half dollar."

"Then in 1976 it was changed into a copper/nickel mix; nasty." (confused 1971 with '76 bicentennial)

"Even though the Kennedy half dollar lost popularity it was changed back to silver in 1977 and is very hard to find." (???)

And my favorite:

"I don't even know why they use half dollars because you can't spend them anywhere, they don't even fit in vending machines. They only reason people have them is to collect them. They are worth more than 50 cents. People have no right to do anything with them, therefore, don't use or have them."

"The Kennedy half dollar was issued in 1964, an awesome idea... This awesome quarter was 90% silver... Then, in 1971, the Kennedy half dollar was a copper and nickel mix, that was a dumb idea. I love the Kennedy half dollar."

This kid should have a job as a numismatic writer. :ninja:

"..they don't even fit in vending machines." I love it! Oddly enough I had some Kennedy half's in my car last week (I get them at the bank to look for silver) and I actually thought about that. I didn't have any dollar bills or other change except dollar coins. The vending machine at work doesn't take them either!!

"The Kennedy half dollar was issued in 1964, an awesome idea...

This awesome quarter was 90% silver...

Then, in 1971, the Kennedy half dollar was a copper and nickel mix, that was a dumb idea.

I love the Kennedy half dollar."

I suspect I sounded much like this kid when I was younger... :ninja:

And my favorite:

"I don't even know why they use half dollars because you can't spend them anywhere, they don't even fit in vending machines. They only reason people have them is to collect them. They are worth more than 50 cents. People have no right to do anything with them, therefore, don't use or have them."

Are you sure that is from a kid? Sounds like almost everyone I know. Cashiers in stores, restaurants, conductors on trains, all types of vending machines, etc.

How old are these kids just out of interest? I can imagine some of mine writing much more worrying sentences. Based on their previous work i can envisage...

'This coin it be's a half dollar and it also be's silver, innit.'

and without doubt I bet one would write;

'This coin was released because Kennedy got shot dead' and then they'd ask me if he like the design or not!

As you say, kids today. :ninja:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived