CoinPeople.com

Us dollar note with half obverse showing on reverse?what type of error note is this?Need help from the expert please.

Hi,I saw this US dollar note selling on a website and I have never seen any US dollar with this type of error before,I can see half of the obverse side showing on reverse side.What type of error is this?what happend to this US dollar?Is it common thing happen on US banknote?Does it has any special value?hope someone can explain and tell me about it,help is always apprieciated,thanks.

23232.jpg

2342423.jpg

Hi,I saw this US dollar note selling on a website and I have never seen any US dollar with this type of error before,I can see half of the obverse side showing on reverse side.What type of error is this?what happend to this US dollar?Is it common thing happen on US banknote?Does it has any special value?hope someone can explain and tell me about it,help is always apprieciated,thanks.

23232.jpg

2342423.jpg

This is an 'offset' error caused when a freshly printed sheet fell on another freshly printed sheet and some of the ink from the bottom sheet was transferred to the top sheet.. Only a part of the bottom sheet was transferred to the top sheet because there was an obstruction [likely another piece of paper] between the top sheet and the bottom sheet.

You must first understand the printing process to understand how this happens. The backs are printed first, then allowed to dry. Then the faces are printed. After that, the serial numbers and seals are printed in a third printing procedure. At anypoint in this process odd things can, and do, happen. A sheet can get folded, causing gutter fold errors parts of faces on backs and cutting errors. The plates can be over-inked due to a failure o wipe the excess ink off a plate prior to printing causing smearing errors. A sheet can be placed on another sheet without a properly alligned piece of paper in between the printed sheets, or no sheet at all, creating the offset error. A sheet can be fed into the press in the wrong direction causing the upside-down seals and serials type of error, or having the face upside down with regard to the back. In some cases the wrong backs get fed into a press printing a different denomination for the face creating a note with two different denominations on it .

Errors are common inside the printing plants for, after all, it IS a factory with errors and accidents occuring as often as in any other factory.

They are rare outside the plants because the Bureau of Engraving and Printing [as well as the various mints for coins] maintains an incredibly high standard of product quality control. That is why errors are so highly desired by collectors.

Many people forget that the BEP and the Mints produce huge quantities of notes and coins in a factory environment. Because errors are so infrequently seen in regular commerce, it is easy to fall into the trap of thinking errors are not made. Errorsa are made everyday, all day. It's just that the inspectors do their job VERY well.

I hope this helps...

Jay

Archived