CoinPeople.com

10kop1796 - the Монеты и Медали coin

sigistenz

There was an attractive 10kop1796 in the Künker sale #150, lot 2580. Struck over a 1763 pyatak. It can still be viewed at the Künker site.

I faintly remembered having seen the coin somewhere before. Without knowing where. Today I discovered that it is identic with the Монеты и Медали coin - http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?year=1796

What do we make out of this? :ninja: Sigi

10kop1796.jpg

By sigistenz

There was an attractive 10kop1796 in the Künker sale #150, lot 2580. Struck over a 1763 pyatak. It can still be viewed at the Künker site.

I faintly remembered having seen the coin somewhere before. Without knowing where. Today I discovered that it is identic with the Монеты и Медали coin - http://www.numismat.ru/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?year=1796

What do we make out of this? :ninja: Sigi

10kop1796.jpg

By sigistenz

Oh oh. These coins seem to have the very same undertype traces in the very same locations and the same minor flaws in the same locations, which seems like a highly improbable situation. ;);)

I wonder if there are more identical examples out there?

Same coin, photographed in different light and or different photoshop editing?

Same coin, lightly cleaned before going to Kuenker?

corrosion pattern and green stuff match up, in addition to flaws, as mentioned by Grivna1726

It's the same coin. Moneti & Medali Sale 31, June 2005, Lot 586, $8500.

Assuming it was actually in Russia at the time of the sale, it then was taken out sometime during the past 4 years; risky for such a high profile coin.

It's the same coin....

Ah, okay, that's reassuring. I was having a very bad feeling there (not only about the coin, but at the thought that the forgers have gotten that good at their craft). I am relieved to know that my attack of doubt was not justified.

It's the same coin. Moneti & Medali Sale 31, June 2005, Lot 586, $8500.

Assuming it was actually in Russia at the time of the sale, it then was taken out sometime during the past 4 years; risky for such a high profile coin.

Some more provenance:

same coin was auctioned back to Russia in 1997 on Gelos 6, lot 102 :ninja:

Ah, okay, that's reassuring. I was having a very bad feeling there (not only about the coin, but at the thought that the forgers have gotten that good at their craft). I am relieved to know that my attack of doubt was not justified.

I have the same feeling about reverse, but didn’t see coin personally .Possible more variety of the dies exist :ninja: I'm sure the Russian Auction houses have see more coins for the type then I do ;) .

I have the same feeling about reverse, but didn’t see coin personally .Possible more variety of the dies exist :ninja: I'm sure the Russian Auction houses have see more coins for the type then I do ;) .

of course there are more pieces in Russia especially with auction houses operating last ten years over there ;)

even without deep search I can re-call two more pieces auctioned in Russia couple years ago etc. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Phew ... thank god for that ... cos I have just sold it earlier on eBay and thought I'dmade a big mistake.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

To prevent future buying mistakes - purchase some Russian catalogs at list...

Good Luck!

Archived