CoinPeople.com

unknown commemorative coin

joop

Hello,

a friend of mine has recently bought this coin. Although russian is not my native language I believe it is a commemorative silver coin of tsar nikolay II.

does anyone have some more information? When was the coin issued and what is the value?

Thanks,

Joop

Poolse_Munt_002.JPG

Poolse_Munt_003.JPG

definitely not a coin, (not issued as money)

but it is Nicholas II. The legend merely indicates "Russian Czars and Emporers"

perhaps a souvenir series for tourists or included in boxes of cereal?

If It is silver, its just worth its weight at the current price, im afraid.

...It seems to be silver...

Silver or White Metal?

White metal is cheap to use and will produce a brilliant, hard silvery luster when struck (which makes it popular for medals).

The low relief and relatively amateurish quality of the dies (the eagle especially), suggests that it is of recent manufacture.

I agree with Squirrel. This is not a coin and is more likely made for tourists, given away as a "Cracker Jack" or cereal box premium, or is some other form of a promotional item made for the Russian market.

Whatever it is, it is not a coin. Sorry. :ninja:

I've seen these before, but not Nicholas II. I actually owned one many years ago for a brief moment. I think it was Alexander II. I also have seen Catherine II somewhere. I believe this series was created in Germany. BTW, on the reverse in Russian it says "Russian Tsars and Emperors"

Silver or White Metal?

White metal is cheap to use and will produce a brilliant, hard silvery luster when struck (which makes it popular for medals).

The low relief and relatively amateurish quality of the dies (the eagle especially), suggests that it is of recent manufacture.

I agree with Squirrel. This is not a coin and is more likely made for tourists, given away as a "Cracker Jack" or cereal box premium, or is some other form of a promotional item made for the Russian market.

Whatever it is, it is not a coin. Sorry.

As a rule medals of silver or any other precious metal generally state the

pure weight and metal. This one does not, leading to the conclusion that it

is copper nickel or some similar alloy.

RWJ

Archived