CoinPeople.com

Help. Ballerina coin.

I recently uncovered this beautiful gold coin (?) or medal. Unfortunately I have had no luck at all finding anything about it. It measures 30mm x 1mm maybe 1.5mm. On the front is the name Anna Pavlova in cryllic with a woman's profile. On the back side is a ballerina with a small mint mark of 900 degrees and under that is 17z (?). These scans do not do the item justice. I scanned a bit darker so we could read the nubers.

If anyone could help identify this and/or an estimated value I would apprieciate it greatly. I'd hate to let this beautiful coin go for just gold value.

Thank you in advance,

Kevin B. Cozort

uber_catt@hotmail.com

Ballerina_back_sm.jpg

Ballerina_Front_sm.jpg

It is a 17 gramme medal struck by the USSR mint in Leningrad during the 1970's, it is roughly half an ounce of gold. They were sold through Mezhnumizmatika, a joint German/USSR concern. The prices on them were high, and not a lot of people bought them. Now they are worth about what the gold is worth, there is not a huge interest in them yet.

It is a 17 gramme medal struck by the USSR mint in Leningrad during the 1970's, it is roughly half an ounce of gold. They were sold through Mezhnumizmatika, a joint German/USSR concern. The prices on them were high, and not a lot of people bought them. Now they are worth about what the gold is worth, there is not a huge interest in them yet.

Wow! Thank you for such a quick response! That is still good news for me as I didn't really want to part with it yet.

Thanks,

Kevin B. Cozort

By the way, do they have a name? I'd like to know what to call it when talking about it. :-)

By the way, do they have a name? I'd like to know what to call it when talking about it. :-)

I am not sure if they were ever named like a lot of things produced there were. I did find a similar medal, 17 grammes, with Leo Tolstoy on it from the same era sometime back and paid just melt for it. One of the curious aspects of these medallions is that they were created primarily for tourists, I believe they were sold in some outlet near the Kremlin, and then by mail order from Mezhnumizmatika. They were still selling these at a slow pace when in the late 80's or early 90's I wrote to Mezhnumizmatika for a price catalog. As noted in my previous post, they were egregiously priced - so sales were slow on them. Soviet citizens of course never had access to purchasing material like this, such gold ownership was illegal( though not nonexistent, as some of my experiences in the USSR proved), gold was not legal to own in Russia until the early 1990's. Even with legalization, people were still being harassed by corrupt police for coin collecting.

So these pieces are not too well known in Russia, since they were primarily sold to people taking them out of the country. While other Russian regular coins have appreciated considerably, the phenomenon with these is otherwise, since they are unknown by most, they are not collected.

BTW do you have the original box with the medal?

Unfortunately, no. I found it in a brown paper coin envelope wrapped in a thin tissue. No writing on the envelope, unlike most of the items I inheirited...lol.

It is great that I found this site and that it has good people here that are willing to help.

Kevin B. Cozort

This is advertised on the poster that I have:

http://www.gxseries.com/numis/rus_new_type/poster3_small.jpg

It does not mention the price but there is a nice set released back then.

I will have to dig out the paperwork I have from Mezhnumizmatika sometime, it does have the prices from 1989, and I remember thinking they were priced way to high.

Archived