CoinPeople.com

Building A Personal Coin WebSite

ClearwaterCoins

I want to build my own website showcasing my coin collection. I have purchased my domain name and have started to take photo's of all of my coins.

I invision the site have the coins grouped by country and then coin type. I envision that I would dispaly photo' of the coins and then provide alittle information about that coin.

Now I need some advice on the rest of the process. I am not sure what software to use or how to get started. This will be my first try at any type of web site. So any suggestions on how to begin or what software would be needed would be great.

CC

I want to build my own website showcasing my coin collection. I have purchased my domain name and have started to take photo's of all of my coins.

I invision the site have the coins grouped by country and then coin type. I envision that I would dispaly photo' of the coins and then provide alittle information about that coin.

Now I need some advice on the rest of the process. I am not sure what software to use or how to get started. This will be my first try at any type of web site. So any suggestions on how to begin or what software would be needed would be great.

CC

My web hosting service offers the open source software "Gallery" for displaying photo albums. You can also define sub-albums and customize it to some extent. I found it adequate for my initial needs, but nowadays the pages are getting a little slow to load since I have hundreds (or > 1,000??) pictures in it. But you can take a look here if you like:

http://hairgrove-goldberg.com/Gallery

There's also the OmniCoin web site run by this forum (link at the top right of every page).

Good luck! :ninja:

If your ISP doesn't provide website building tools you can do it the "hard" way. Learn HTML and a bit of Javascript. In a pinch you can use any text editor such as notepad to do your editing and you'll need something to upload your pages and images (usually a FTP client such as SmartFTP) to the server.

Personally I use Dreamweaver (bought it as a student, the best price) which combines WYSIWYG editing, site management and upload capability in one program. Not cheap though and I would encourage you to look on shareware and freeware sites for programs that provide similar features at nearly no cost.

After several years of suffering through my ISP putting ads on my web pages I went the next step and purchased my own server. You need what is called a static IP (usually only on business accounts but more common nowadays) to make your life easier setting up your domains. Finally you need a DNS server provider (you've probably already dealt with this). DNS is the piece that translates www.napoleonicmedals.org to 192.168.168.10 (not a real IP) so your visitors don't need to remember an IP number. myDomains.com and GoDaddy.com both provide that service either free or at a nominal cost.

A free website building progamme that lets you put your site together and see it as it progresses is htmlKit. Frankly for my hobby site I wouldn't pay to put it up, and for the most part it is for my personal viewing only - the stuff is in the bank, buried in large deposit boxes so I don't see it all the time. My virtual collection takes the place of that, and will continue to do so after I auction off the real collection in the next months to fund my new more rewarding interests.

My virtual collection takes the place of that, and will continue to do so after I auction off the real collection in the next months to fund my new more rewarding interests.

Please let us know where and when you will be auctioning your collection so we can participate in the bidding. You have some amazing coins...

Archived