CoinPeople.com

Any PR yet from Künker 150?

bobh

This is a very interesting coin.

Until this example appeared, I had never seen an overstruck Ioann rouble dated later than 1743. I assumed the overstriking program had ended in 1743.

However, that is not necessarily correct. ;)

We know that

1. Ioann's silver coins were recalled and overstruck with Elizabeth's dies,

2. that there were harsh punishments for anyone who did not comply with this order,

3. that many people did not comply (because Ioann's coins still exist today),

4. that the overstriking was part of a determined effort to suppress all evidence of his reign, including the sealing of archives and

5. that he was secretly imprisoned in solitary confinement because, for as long as he lived, he would always be a threat to Elizabeth's (and her successors') hold on the throne.

In consideration of these facts, it seems reasonable that Ioann's coins might be discovered at any time during Elizabeth's reign (including 1745 or even later) and then officially destroyed by overstriking (or melting?). If so, they would probably be overstruck (as they were discovered) with the dies then in use.

So maybe we will someday see a 1746 or later overstrike. ;)

Is there anything in the archival documents in the GM corpus that mentions how long Elizabeth's overstriking of Ioann's coins continued? :ninja:

Elizabeth had 3 ukazes for overstriking however senate ukaz was issued only in 1743 and since 1741 a half of million rubles and poltinas were overstruk...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Elizabeth had 3 ukazes for overstriking however senate ukaz was issued only in 1743 and since 1741 a half of million rubles and poltinas were overstruk...

Thank you for your reply.

I take it that this information is obtained from the GM corpus. Am I correct?

Thank you for your reply.

I take it that this information is obtained from the GM corpus. Am I correct?

i would need to double check that :ninja:

It looks to me like IgorS is correct in his take on things based on recent auction results. It seems that rare and choice coins remain in strong demand, although prices are not going up as fast as they once were or might have hit a plateau.

Common stuff is down and probably will remain that way for a while. Now might be as good as it gets for collectors wanting to buy (or maybe not - my crystal ball is a bit cloudy today). ;)

I would have to agree 100% with Grivna1726. I just recieved my Kuenker invoice... a nice Scott portrait Ruble that ive been looking for, for some time now, lot 2343, for under the start price, which was very reasonable, given the last few years. :ninja:

I would have to agree 100% with Grivna1726. I just recieved my Kuenker invoice... a nice Scott portrait Ruble that ive been looking for, for some time now, lot 2343, for under the start price, which was very reasonable, given the last few years. ;)

Congratulations on what looks like an excellent buy! :ninja:

Nice to be able to buy things like this for under $1,000 again ... hope the trend continues!

I would have to agree 100% with Grivna1726. I just recieved my Kuenker invoice... a nice Scott portrait Ruble that ive been looking for, for some time now, lot 2343, for under the start price, which was very reasonable, given the last few years. ;)

Congratulations on the purchase. :ninja: That's a nicely detailed portrait for the Scott type, which is often found flatly struck. ;)

I just know a few selected ones: 1773 2 para/3 kopeks - 43k Euro hammer, 1796 cypher 10 kopeks - 15 k, 180. 5 kopeks - 14 k, 1810 2 kopeks with Alexander I portrait - 150 k.

The auction was a mixed bag. Rare coins and high grade coins still bring big (relatively) bucks, low grade - cheap.

It is my opinion that because of recession and uncertain with russian coin prices many folks did not bid in both German auctions and now some disappointed that could have bought some nice pieces at fare prices which are happened, besides the high rarities. Both auctions had hundreds coins for average collectors; under average I assume a collector who cannot afford those rarities but eagor to aquire different type of coins, varieties, in different metal like gold, silver and copper,etc.

Archived