CoinPeople.com

1920 straits settlements KGV 50c coin obverse HEAD on both SIDES without reverse side,common error?what kind of error is it?

HI,nice to see you all again.I really need all of your help this time,its very important for me.

I saw a straits settlements 1920 king george the fifth 50c silver coin WITH the obverse HEAD and WORDS on BOTH SIDE of the coin WITHOUT the REVERSE side(the 50c value and straits settlements word).The head and words on obverse side is normal but the head and words on reverse side seems went into the coin,the head and words are holes(the head and words normally came out on the coin surface which you can feel it by touching).What kind of error coin is this?is this a common error coin or unique coin?is this a genuine error coin or counterfeit error?(made this by himself).Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?I went to a local coin dealer and i was shocked to see something like this.I have never seen anything like it before in my whole life as a coin collector for so many years,Im very interested to buy this coin from him but im afraid its a counterfeit error made by him.Could someone please help me,so i wont be cheated by him.Help is always apprieciated,thanks.

• 1 month later...
HI,nice to see you all again.I really need all of your help this time,its very important for me.

I saw a straits settlements 1920 king george the fifth 50c silver coin WITH the obverse HEAD and WORDS on BOTH SIDE of the coin WITHOUT the REVERSE side(the 50c value and straits settlements word).The head and words on obverse side is normal but the head and words on reverse side seems went into the coin,the head and words are holes(the head and words normally came out on the coin surface which you can feel it by touching).What kind of error coin is this?is this a common error coin or unique coin?is this a genuine error coin or counterfeit error?(made this by himself).Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?I went to a local coin dealer and i was shocked to see something like this.I have never seen anything like it before in my whole life as a coin collector for so many years,Im very interested to buy this coin from him but im afraid its a counterfeit error made by him.Could someone please help me,so i wont be cheated by him.Help is always apprieciated,thanks.

Hi there.

I am certainly not an expert here, but as far as I know, there can not be the same design on both sides of the coin unless one is a mirror image of the other and incuse.

A fake of this sort can be made in two ways with jeweler's equipment.

1. Cut two coins in half and glue the two same sides together. You get two coins, one with both obverses and one with both reverses. You can see a very fine line in the middle of the edge. Note that a line does exist on some genuine coins so look for very fine lines or finish shine. It should flow in the same direction across the face of the edge. The fake will have opposing lines/shine. BUT..some fakes are resurfaced leaving you only the line to spot.

2. Take a coin, set the depth of the drill to leave a scant thickness of metal under it and cut along the inner edge on the face of the coin with a flat bottomed drill bit and work all over until that side of the coin is left with only the edge attached to the remaining other side.

Now he takes an identical coin and cuts along the inner rim, sands off the same thickness as left in the other coin and glues the two identical fronts or backs together. Look for this cut line as it may have residue of the glue showing and/or have a very fine line that you may be able to feel with a finger nail. Also there may be a darkened line around the inner rim of material to fill in and hide the line.

Also weigh the coin, look up the weight of the genuine coin and compare. This of course depends on the wear of the fake coin, but the weights should be quite close.

Archived