CoinPeople.com

My golden penny!

Mo!

Alright, so all I had to say when i got this one in change was WTF?!?

Since i can't get good pictures, it might be hard to answer to me why i got a golden penny dated 2001 with the mint-mark "D".

Or... I sound really stupid because there is a really commen explanation.

P.S. The penny is in UNC condition, if I am correct in assuming that is the correct abbr. for completely flawless/scratchless/etc.

I'd bet its a brass penny (cent for Justcarl). Sometimes the planchet metal isn't properly mixed. Worth just 1/100th of a dollar

planchet metal?

We did something like that in high school. Burned the penny over something and it turned gold? Maybe someone got bored with their chemistry experiment.

Such a coin dated 2001D or almost anthing after 1982 is common. The reason some look like they are Gold is due to many reasons. 1. Some people use pennies to show how a polish, wax, cleaner for cars can make thier car sparkle. 2. Some kids actually play with electrolysis in chem classes and pennies are great subjects. 3. Some people just shine coins for the fun of it and put them back into circulation. 4. Really slight chance of a slight mixture mistake at the Mint and the outer layer not pure Copper but a mixture of Tin, Zinc and Copper making it Brass. 5. Just normal looking but you usually don't get new coins.

Such a coin dated 2001D or almost anthing after 1982 is common. The reason some look like they are Gold is due to many reasons. 1. Some people use pennies to show how a polish, wax, cleaner for cars can make thier car sparkle. 2. Some kids actually play with electrolysis in chem classes and pennies are great subjects. 3. Some people just shine coins for the fun of it and put them back into circulation. 4. Really slight chance of a slight mixture mistake at the Mint and the outer layer not pure Copper but a mixture of Tin, Zinc and Copper making it Brass. 5. Just normal looking but you usually don't get new coins.

It's probably brass, but still how does that come to be?

Archived