CoinPeople.com

London Mint Cartwheel Pennies For Sale

constanius

London Mint Cartwheel Penny Offer

The Mint Is Offering for sale 18th Century Cartwheel Penny, 1797 Price: £158.00 P&P: No Charge

"The ‘Cartwheel Penny’ is an important coin because it was the first copper penny issued, and it featured Britannia for the first time on a British coin. It was also struck using coin presses powered by steam - yet another first"

You would hope 'The Mint' would get their facts right!!!

950153.jpg

Thanks for the info. Even they should try and get basic facts right. But seeing as they play a bit fast and loose with who they actually are.........

I was not interested in buying from them, it was just the error that interested me. I am glad I posted because your response is valuable information.

I guess the best advice is still 'buyer beware'

Thanks for the info. Even they should try and get basic facts right. But seeing as they play a bit fast and loose with who they actually are.........

I was not interested in buying from them, it was just the error that interested me. I am glad I posted because your response is valuable information.

I guess the best advice is still 'buyer beware'

Exactly, I agree that's the great thing about coin forums we can point out errors or cautions to many others and share our experience and any relevant information we may have.

cant see anything about the first with britania.. but the price is just rediculous if it was in brilliant condition then great.. but that pictured one is about £15 maybe a bit more.

The price is ridiculous.

See below for the claimed first with Britannia, copied from the ad:

18th Century Cartwheel Penny, 1797

The ‘Cartwheel Penny’ is an important coin because it was the first copper penny issued, and it featured Britannia for the first time on a British coin. It was also struck using coin presses powered by steam - yet another first.

• 9 months later...

Archived