CoinPeople.com

The never ending "Unknown Purchase" Contest. "Ended"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:ninja: Congratulations, tdp! I considered duplicating your last guesses, with different years. But that strategy could have kept this going for even longer!

Thanks for the contest, Mark. It was a lot of fun. And that's a beautiful coin. Was it tough to choose between the three quarter eagles?

:ninja: Congratulations, tdp! I considered duplicating your last guesses, with different years. But that strategy could have kept this going for even longer!

Thanks for the contest, Mark. It was a lot of fun. And that's a beautiful coin. Was it tough to choose between the three quarter eagles?

Yep, there was also a couple railroad mexican silver pesos that looked nice.

Mark, I had a strategy to all of this. I thought you were a big silver guy. That's why I was guessing every type of early 20th century silver coin I could think of! It was only once we exhausted all the possible options that I tried a cheap gold coin.

Must be a decent coin shop.

One of those with boxes of coins piled in every corner. Literally. They keep a box of "cull" older coins on the counter. (standing, barbers, seated, 1/2 dimes, large cents, etc.) A box of bulk silver commemoratives and foreign silver coins. Because of space they will throw away the boxes and dump the commemoratives in it. Boxes of loose silver dollars under glass, one each morgan and peace bu, one of circulated. They have one of those two level carts you hunt thru, with boxes of prestige sets, foreign proof and mint sets. 1, 10, 100 ounce silver bars. Pretty much you name it they have it. I would love to just nose around behind the counter in the piles and see what they have. Last time I was there about 10 people selling coins and jewelry. One guy with a satchel and 20x20 box of proofs sets and silver eagles. One old man driving one guy crazy buying specific state quarters looking thru each tube with a loupe.

Mark, I had a strategy to all of this. I thought you were a big silver guy. That's why I was guessing every type of early 20th century silver coin I could think of! It was only once we exhausted all the possible options that I tried a cheap gold coin.

Even though I did not know what I was going to pick up. There was a clue even in the first post. Trying to mix it up some. And don't you mean right priced? :ninja: But it was less then any except ex jewelry of the 2 1/2's Ive seen going on ebay. I should have really waited a couple paychecks though.

Received the prize yesterday!

I swear the coin is older than the date admits. Why can't US coins of that era look that nice? Also, the edge designs (diamonds, fleur-de-lis, compass?, a star, and le coq) make this coin the most decorated edge-design coin I have.

Thanks for the contest, Mark!

There was one or two more of those in the box, but I liked the skin on that one. I've thought about asking what kind of deal they would give if I get a large batch out of the box. I like several of the Russian coins also. But all of them have been hazy proofs. Really should give them a long soak in acetone.

922283.jpg

922447.jpg

• 2 months later...

Archived