CoinPeople.com

Error, or abnormal wear?

Finn235

25c_1995P_error.JPG

I found this in a jar of change several weeks ago. A majority of the detail on the left half of the coin seems to be completely gone, although portions can be made out, though extremely faint. I cannot determine whether this was a die error, or simply a case of abnormally harsh wear to certain parts of the coin. Thoughts?

It looks like it was either struck through grease or something of that sort. Either way it's an interesting error, much more dramatic most coins struck through something.

VFox is right. There was probably a gob of grease or something gooey on the die that struck the coin blank. Thus, some of the design did not get transferred. Great find! Thanks for sharing!

Wow! I didn't expect it would be an actual error. There is some missing detail on the back, although not quite so dramatic (Only half of the word "Dollar" is missing).

One interesting thing that I noticed is the reeding. It's weak all around the coin, but completely missing from where the second 9 should be to the mint mark. Was this caused by dirty machinery as well?

A quick search revealed that this coin would probably be worth between 50 cents and a dollar. Does that sound about right?

Archived