CoinPeople.com

brunei 1967 sultan p1 $1 dollar colour error note?help me to identify it,thank you.

asian_note_collector

brunei 1967 sultan P1 $1 one dollar colour error note???the colour looks very much difference on obverse and reserve sides(top note)compare with a normal colour note(bottom note),I Need help from banknote expert to identify it and confirm.The error note is in uncirculated extra fine condition.Please see the scan below and compare them carefully.Is it considered as an error/variety note?if yes ,is this common or rare for the brunei note?please give me your comment,help is always apprieciated.Thank you so much. :ninja:

5-2.jpg

4-2.jpg

brunei3.jpg

6.jpg

Does the paper feel the same in hand??

Looks like the note might have been washed with something

yes the paper feel the same when holding or touching in hand.what made you think that the note has been washed with something???which note do u mean???if you mean the top note and has been washed with something,the flame wont be the same colour as the bottom note,or the flame colour just goes off,think about it.

I don't know how Brunei's printing presses worked back then, but maybe one note was printed as soon as the ink was applied to the die and the other was printed while the ink needed to be refreshed. Kinda like when you print a lot on a computer printer and the last few sheets of a cartridge are faded.

I don't know how Brunei's printing presses worked back then, but maybe one note was printed as soon as the ink was applied to the die and the other was printed while the ink needed to be refreshed. Kinda like when you print a lot on a computer printer and the last few sheets of a cartridge are faded.

IF what you said is true,I can notice there are many BLUE colour dots on the center icons on the white background instead of the normaly purple dots on the red background note.How would you explain all this BLUE colour DOTS???anyway,is this considered as variety colour note?someone on the other forum says the colour is variety,still not sure about that.anyway,picture below tells a thousand word,please see it carefully and compare them,im sure you can see the difference of the DOT colour.

4-3.jpg

The reason the blue dots show up is they are not part of the underprint. The underprint is the red/purple/pink colors you see.

The only other possibility is they forgot the underprint.

You are right Brett. In my $100 canadian, the notes are in the same prefix and were printed around the same time. One is normal with the coloring , the other has an extra pink. It is a printing error and the value is not TOO great....Anyway they are both nice notes...

c1954-100.jpg

c1954-100b.jpg

c1954-100-back.jpg

c1954-100b-back-1.jpg:ninja:

The reason the blue dots show up is they are not part of the underprint. The underprint is the red/purple/pink colors you see.

The only other possibility is they forgot the underprint.

brett,I thought you said my note has been washed with something else and now,you are saying something differencely.Maybe youre right and i have to agree with you,the blue dot on the white background is NOT the part of the underprint,probably they forgot the underprint.Btw,how can they FORGOT the underprint? :ninja:

Again, I'm no expert. But as far as I understand the printing process is a multi-step dealeyo. They print a batch of paper with one part of the design, then take it to another part of the press with different dies for other parts of the design. Maybe they just forgot one part of the process that included that layer.

Again, I'm no expert. But as far as I understand the printing process is a multi-step dealeyo. They print a batch of paper with one part of the design, then take it to another part of the press with different dies for other parts of the design. Maybe they just forgot one part of the process that included that layer.

YOU are correct and i fully agree with you.Is this still considered as colour variety?if yes,does it worth anything?Is it a common variety happen on this one dollar brunei note in 1967?I heard someone says he has a ton of brunei notes with the similar variety exactly like this one example colour missing or difference colour on the note etc......just like the picture showing below-missing greenish blue on reverse side of the note.

a145_1.jpg

I'm not saying either thing I have suggested is correct. I was just throwing ideas out.

Brett,i got many people opinion on many other paper money forum and they would think this is the variety colour note.They have checked the world paper money catalogue and mentioned red colour as background colour and lilac colour as icon colour on red background colour but one would says that is at least parts of the note could be engraved or lithographed(is that even possible). The pick catalog doesnt say either way, so maybe it isnt.Does the catalogue would ever mentions evgraved or lithographed if part of the note is engraved or lithographed?hope you can tell me something about this,thanks.

YOU are correct and i fully agree with you.Is this still considered as colour variety?if yes,does it worth anything?Is it a common variety happen on this one dollar brunei note in 1967?I heard someone says he has a ton of brunei notes with the similar variety exactly like this one example colour missing or difference colour on the note etc......just like the picture showing below-missing greenish blue on reverse side of the note.

As what others have earlier commented, this is due to lack of ink for certain print run. It is pretty common. Some notes are lighter while others are heavily coloured. You can consider this as a minor error. It is not an official colour variety, otherwise, they would have stated it somewhere. Common colour variety are the colour trial. This are kept by printers. Others such as the Singapore Ship $2 with orange and purple colour varieties

917409A.jpg

917407A.jpg

Interestingly, the lower serial number has a lighter print but the upper serial number seems normal. This have prompted some of us to think that it may be washed as washed notes do have a lighter cleaner colour. Is the surface of the note matted or glossy ? It may be a genuine error note with lighter print of serial number. Anyway, just keep the note for your collection.

4-2.jpg

I have a few of these notes which I savaged them through circulation many years ago ( not in the year of 1967 ). Not sure where I put them now. Maybe when I have time, I will find them and have a good look.

Cheers.

As what others have earlier commented, this is due to lack of ink for certain print run. It is pretty common. Some notes are lighter while others are heavily coloured. You can consider this as a minor error. It is not an official colour variety, otherwise, they would have stated it somewhere. Common colour variety are the colour trial. This are kept by printers. Others such as the Singapore Ship $2 with orange and purple colour varieties

917409A.jpg

917407A.jpg

Interestingly, the lower serial number has a lighter print but the upper serial number seems normal. This have prompted some of us to think that it may be washed as washed notes do have a lighter cleaner colour. Is the surface of the note matted or glossy ? It may be a genuine error note with lighter print of serial number. Anyway, just keep the note for your collection.

4-2.jpg

I have a few of these notes which I savaged them through circulation many years ago ( not in the year of 1967 ). Not sure where I put them now. Maybe when I have time, I will find them and have a good look.

Cheers.

:ninja: guess you have the same thinking too like the guy on the other forum think that it may be washed with something else and also asked me the same question too,is the surface matted or glossy?Fortunely,it did not wash with something at all and not even touched by a single drop of water,do i look so stupid ever washed the note with water?The note is in perfect condition like new note ,feel the same when touching or holding in hand,the surface is not matted or glossy at all.Most of the people see the lighter serial number at the bottom corner make them think that the colour has faded away or the note has been washed with something else but fortunely,it is caused by the camera flashlight to flash on the serial numbers make the serial number looks like faded away,in fact,the serial number is so much darker than the serial number on red background note.I took this notes picture again without flashlight this time,hope you all get it this time.

7.jpg

5-3.jpg

;) guess you have the same thinking too like the guy on the other forum think that it may be washed with something else and also asked me the same question too,is the surface matted or glossy?Fortunely,it did not wash with something at all and not even touched by a single drop of water,do i look so stupid ever washed the note with water?The note is in perfect condition like new note ,feel the same when touching or holding in hand,the surface is not matted or glossy at all.Most of the people see the lighter serial number at the bottom corner make them think that the colour has faded away or the note has been washed with something else but fortunely,it is caused by the camera flashlight to flash on the serial numbers make the serial number looks like faded away,in fact,the serial number is so much darker than the serial number on red background note.I took this notes picture again without flashlight this time,hope you all get it this time.

7.jpg

5-3.jpg

I am glad to hear that the note is still in original condition.

Just a pointer for you. When washed with AB solution, the surface loses it sheen ( shine ). They are usually pressed down with a flat heavy objects such as books when the the note is still wet. The paper is thin and flat and may curled up when placed flat on the table. What about the smell ? Does it has a distinct chemical smell or no smell. If it a new note smell or an "old" smell ( a distinctive closet smell when the note is kept for a long time ), then it still in original condition.

:ninja:

I am glad to hear that the note is still in original condition.

Just a pointer for you. When washed with AB solution, the surface loses it sheen ( shine ). They are usually pressed down with a flat heavy objects such as books when the the note is still wet. The paper is thin and flat and may curled up when placed flat on the table. What about the smell ? Does it has a distinct chemical smell or no smell. If it a new note smell or an "old" smell ( a distinctive closet smell when the note is kept for a long time ), then it still in original condition.

;)

I can confirm this note is never contact with water becouse my dad took this note at brunei bank in 1967,then he noticed the note colour looks very much difference compare with a normal note and kept till now.Yes,it has some kind of smell(not sure what smell is that)when i smell it,i feel like vomit out.Honestly,i have never any brunei old note(1967-1990) with difference colour or colour missing on the note,i have seen more than 100 pieces of this old one dollar note and their background is still red/pink colour and their center icons colour are lilac colour but not blue colour center icon and dots like this???how do you explain it????i just love to see the blue colour center icons and dots when i free. :ninja:

Hey Naidu54 - and anyone else interested - check this site out: Replacement note indicators

It's pretty cool. It may not be 100% complete, but its still pretty good.

Anybody cares to comment on this...VERY INTERESTING------)

http://www.allnumis.com/viewAuction.php?id=226

Archived