CoinPeople.com

Wife and I have a little bet

Kristofer

Clean or Toned?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your silver coins to be Bright, White, and Clean (Not cleaned, just clean), or Beautifully Toned (Naturally of course)?

• Bright, White, and Clean
    • Beautiful Natural Toning

I refuse to come between husband & wife, so must opt for one side of the coin 'Bright, White, and Clean' and the other side 'Beautiful Natural Toning' as my choice. As there was not that option, I could not take part in the poll.

I certainly can respect that :ninja: I can assure you this is just for fun. We like to bet on little things that don't really matter.

This is one of those according to the coin deals. Also what is beautiful toning to some may not be to others.

Agree. I voted for toning but if I could have voted for white too. Some series are GORGEOUS in blast white and others are much better with a ring of green and gold. When I think of the silver series from the late 19th century (barbers, seateds, etc), I think they are excellent with tone. But I prefer my peace dollars and walkers in blast white.

I'd be interested in a poll for each series! I'd bet you'd see some interesting responses.

Option 3: Old, natural patina and wear in VG or F condition. In other words, what looks circulated (and what I can afford!)...

I couldn't vote for the same reason. Not enough choices. I basically don't like toned coins but a slight touch of toning isn't bad either. Bright white looks cleaned on many coins, nice but always suspicious.

You should redo your poll using seveal other options. Such as noted above, slight toning, excessive toning, natural dirty looking, etc.

This is one of those according to the coin deals. Also what is beautiful toning to some may not be to others.

945080.jpg

We have a 1878 Morgan that looks exactly like Mark's---the toning "ring" on the back. We just took it out of a Swank money clip that had a solid back. Is it just an odd coincidence that both his and ours are the same date and have the same ring? I wonder if they sold the clips with the coins already in them, but Swank, Inc. didn't start until 1897 so I don't know if that theory makes any sense.

Anyway, I was glad to see this poll because my husband and I are having the same debate about cleaning this coin or not. I don't think the clip was ever used and thus the coin that was in it shows no wear.

You can say that again! At first it was a landslide in favor of toned, now it's neck and neck! I'm probably going to put up a more refined poll as was requested numerous times.

Option 4: Very well circulated w/ surfaces rubbed smooth. Like the 15-20 nickels I've found since joining. Seriously, why are there so many silver nickels out there and nothing else! Or is it unusual that i find one (usually in the change jars that my teacher keeps money from selling candy bars to students) or two about every-other day?

the thing is if a coin is cleaned the overall value significantly drops

I rather have a coin thats somwhat dirty, with bag marks then a cleaned coin

Hey Alex,

Welcome to CoinPeople. The First choice is absolutely not for a cleaned coin, but one whos condition has been maintained bright white since its minting. Hope this helps to clarify things :ninja:

Archived