CoinPeople.com

Sadagura Silver Para 3 Dengi 1773 fake

banivechi

A friend of mine bought it in Lvov, Ukraine from a local dealer as "unknown coin" for 50 euro. It is made from silver 9,87 grams, 31 to 31.5 mm in diameter, thin flan: 1.9mm, tooled rim but still very sharp, the fishbones from the edge looking good without magnifier. The coin sounds, even if under magnifier it looks slightly porous.

Anyway, even the diameter and weight are correct, the design isn't like Uzdenikov 4918 (page 462, 463 in my 1992 second edition)

fake-silver-sadagura-1773.jpg

I almost never find coins for sale anywhere when I am in Ukraine, I just got back Saturday from there. Maybe going back in the next few weeks too. I find lots of coins on the ground though, particularly the 1 and 2 kopek coins which are practically worthless.

The only time I ever saw coins being sold is in Odessa, and that was last fall. There are a couple of coin dealers there, and lots of sellers of Soviet era junk down by the Potemkin steps.

BTW when I was there in the fall I went up to Balta, which used to be in Moldova, but is now part of Ukraine. Interesting little city, and I actually went to a wedding there and got blitzed on vodka.

Archived