CoinPeople.com

New Lincoln Cents - a few updates

Art

According to CoinWorld :

1- The Mint is going to have problems distributing the new Lincoln cents because the pipeline is already full of cents and few new orders are being placed.

2- A special set will be issued with the Lincoln Dollar and all four cents where the cents will be struck in copper at the same composition as the original 1909 cents. Sets will be limited to something like 50,000. Perhaps March timeframe.

2- A special set will be issued with the Lincoln Dollar and all four cents where the cents will be struck in copper at the same composition as the original 1909 cents. Sets will be limited to something like 50,000. Perhaps March timeframe.

Ooh. I like. I wonder how much it'd cost

I thought the copper cents were also to be included in the silver proof set, though I am not sure where I heard that.

I remember hearing that too but I cannot find it anywhere "official" right now.

I just checked ebay for these....$500+ dollars for a box of 50 rolls ($25 face). Holy! I wonder if the these people will realize they are making hundreds of millions of these coins...and then implode...? Haha, I'll wait until I get mine at the bank for $0.50. :ninja:

I just checked ebay for these....$500+ dollars for a box of 50 rolls ($25 face). Holy! I wonder if the these people will realize they are making hundreds of millions of these coins...and then implode...? Haha, I'll wait until I get mine at the bank for $0.50. ;)

Can one even pickup up a roll of just the new cents? :ninja: I thought the Lincoln cents were mixed in with older coins.

Can one even pickup up a roll of just the new cents? :ninja: I thought the Lincoln cents were mixed in with older coins.

I used to be able to just ask for a roll of new coins at a bank. However lately they do come all mixed up from the banks. What I'd like to know is where do stores get their rolls from. I've seen people in stores open rolls and all are new. Same at restaurants. Someone knows something.

I think it depends on the store. At a place I used to work we got a change delivery twice a week from a local armored car company. Lots of new coins rolled in those clear plastic tubes.

The local banks are spewing forth their 2008 lincolns on us at the store, I'm sure all the local branches will have them in a few weeks. Or as Carl said, you can pay only 29.95 for the "gold" "platinum" "silver" "colorized" or "very limited supplies, etc" from the TV people. Hah.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone in the east seen these yet? My dad checked his bank, that normally gets all the new coins in right away, and they said the mint is keeping most of them to the western part of the country. Anyone confirm this?

I've been trying to get a roll of them but have come up short.

I asked for the new pennies in the bank a couple of weeks ago and was told that so many people are turning in rolls of pennies that they don't have to order new ones from the feds---just another byproduct of a bad economy, I guess. I'm in the Mid West.

My husband wanted one so bad I finally bought one on eBay for 99 cents with free shipping. When you add up all his costs, he's not making much. So I was glad to have the opportunity to give my husband a cheap thrill. LOL

As with all coins that are overdone, I suspect that in a few years the prices of all the 2009 Lincoln coins will dropping dramatically. Every time someone advertises anything excessively, people run out and hoard, hoard, hoard. After a while everyone knows this and the values go down, down, down.

I am going to just wait, wait and wait.

As with all coins that are overdone, I suspect that in a few years the prices of all the 2009 Lincoln coins will dropping dramatically. Every time someone advertises anything excessively, people run out and hoard, hoard, hoard. After a while everyone knows this and the values go down, down, down.

I am going to just wait, wait and wait.

I agree but we're old and don't have time to wait. :ninja:

I got 2 09-D's today from my dealer. The P's are not even released to the banks yet, and the fed won't even quote a price, it's amusing. But not to worry, in a few months hundreds of millions will be storming through our pockets.

One of the rumors floating around here is the mere fact the U.S. Mint got wind of all the fools bidding $20 to $40 per roll on Ebay Pre-sell Auctions for the 2009 Lincoln Cents. Ebay rules require pre-sales must be shipped within a specific amount of time so the Mint is making absolutely certain that does NOT happen. As we all know the U.S. Mint is notorious for trying to control the secondary market on THEIR coins (thats the way they see it) so if there is more money to be made the MINT wants to be in on it. If you think I am kidding just wait and see if those precious 2009 Lincoln business strikes aren't offered up by the mint in the next few weeks. Getting them for a measly $2 to $4 per roll, plus shipping of course, is going to kill those Ebay sellers and all the "I got to have them now no matter what the cost" bidders. The Mint is going to make certain a shock is coming for those who jumped the gun! Like it or not the folks who run the mint are in it for the MONEY just as everyone else is and a huge opportunity has NOW presented itself. You want 2009 Lincoln cents? The Mint is going to take care of you-----for a price of course. Me, well I want a few rolls but....which devil do I buy them from?

I'd love to get my hands on a roll of uncirculated P's and D's of all four designs, but I'm collecting as a very loooong term investment. Buy at face value so my great-great-grandchildren can sell them for hundreds of times that much. While people are hoarding up all the new pennies, I'll sit here quietly gathering the memorial pennies as everyone is dumping them on the banks. I'm sure that we will be so flooded with them by 2011 that nobody will even bother with them anymore. The same thing happened with those Westward Journey nickels a few years ago.

The same thing happened with those Westward Journey nickels a few years ago.

I religiously check all my change I get back (and my girlfriend's since we save all of it).....I come across one of those once in a blue moon. Come to think of it, I haven't seen one yet this year. After going through about $200 in change, not one came up.

We did get two silver quarters (62 and 64) and several wheat cents.

Archived